Re: William Alcock, Court Martial

  • Margaret Doyle
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
      You could check failteromhat for info.
      Ancesstry have access to British Army members but that's a paying site. Youve probably already checked Familysearch . Irishgenealogy is free. Rootsireland charges €5 to download details on sacramental records.
      Maggie the Dub

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Hec Alcock
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

        Hello Donnacha

        Thank you for you reply,

        I did check with FMP a few weeks back and I think the person you have found was tried in 1831, (The Morley arrived in Sydney Cove 3/3/1828) but I will get back to the library and check out the link.

        Am learning a lot on English history. Probably back in the 50s I would have been taught about the Union of 1801 but that was a long time ago!  Am grateful for the information. I was thinking that the two armies were different, and William may have been reared in Ireland and therefore not the William I was after.

        Will also check out the court martials you mentioned tomorrow.

        Regards your second memo. Someone from another group suggested he may be with the 4th Light Dragoons. I did not state he was in this unit but it was a possibility.

        The evidence that there was a court martial comes from his Certificate of Freedom Certificate that states

        Certificate of Freedom.

        Vessel - Morley

        landed Sydney Cove: 3/3/1828

        CF no: 34/0954

        Native Place: Staffordshire

        Offence: Desertion

        Place of Trial: Newbridge Co Kildare by Court  Martial

        Date of Trial: 23/7/1827

        Sentence: 7 years

        Year of Birth: 1802

        Dated: 30/7/1834

        Item: 4/4323, Reel:993

        My thanks for your assistance and information

        Hec

      • Mal McKee
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
          Hi Hec,

          Just to answer your question on whether he was British or Irish.. he would have potentially been both. Everyone in Ireland at that point was both British and Irish, just like everyone in England would have been British and English.

          It's all I can offer currently, and it may not be much help, but bearing in mind these technicalities might be of help at some point.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 3 Jun 2013, at 18:43, "Hec" <heca@...> wrote:

          Hello, I am new to the group and looking for a William Alcock who was sentenced at a court martial 23/7/1827 at Newbridge Co Kildare. The offence was desertion and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He arrived in Sydney 1828.I believe he was born in Staffordshire UK about 1802

          I am aware that the 4th Light Dragoons were active at this time but cannot find any link to him in this unit.

          I have no other information.

          Is there information on the court martial?
          Was he a British or Irish soldier?
          Did he live in Ireland?

          Any help would be most appreciated
          Cheers
          Hec Alcock

        • Hec Alcock
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

            Hello Mal,

            Thanks for the information, I am learning more about English history than genealogy currently, Great.

            One day this wall will be crashing down.

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

              Hello Margaret,

              Thanks for pointing me to a great site, so much information, but unfortunately no sign of my William

              Thanks for trying

              Hec

              Ancesstry have access to British Army members but that's a paying site. Youve probably already checked Familysearch . Irishgenealogy is free. Rootsireland charges €5 to download details on sacramental records.
              Maggie the Dub

              Sent from my iPhone

            • lruddick
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                Hec:

                Found this.  Am I on the right track?

                    Birth:  1802 - Staffordshire, England

                    Marriage:  1837  - Sydney, New South Wales

                    Death:  9 Jan 1858 - Victoria, Australia

                    Parents:  William Alcock, Mary

                    Spouse:  Catherine McNamara

                Lewis

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                  Hec:

                  Please send me your current email address for more lruddick@...

                  Lewis

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                    Hec:

                    He died at Milkman’s Flat, Victoria, AU ( Jan, 1858 age 57.  They had 10 children.

                    Lewis