Re: 27 th regiment of Foot( Inniskillings)

  • Maureen
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
      --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Joss OKelly" <jokelly@...> wrote:
      >Hi again Joss,

      Snap as regards to the Monmouth mailing list! I also belong to quite a few of the Somerset and Wiltshire ones too.

      No I haven't looked at the Muster Rolls at the TNA. We have retired back to Northern Ireland - or rather my husband has- and Kew is a tadge too far for a day trip. Will have to get a researcher on to it. Can you recommend one. The one I used before has retired. He was great to start with but then his mind started to go. I was getting someones elses info and vice versa!

      Maureen from a cold wet and windy Northern Ireland!
      > Agree that it is dreadful about the lost posts and files. Thanks to Donnacha for all his hard work. I belong to another Yahoo Genealogy mailing list (the Monmouthshire one) - will give them the heads up that this sort of disaster is possible...
      >
      > Maureen - You have tried Muster Rolls, at Kew presumably? A long job but should yield results if they have them. Good luck!
      >
      > Joss
      >
      > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Maureen" <maureen2411@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Joss OKelly" <jokelly@> wrote:
      > > > Hi Joss,
      > >
      > > By now you will know why you haven't heard from anyone. dreadful thing to happen.
      > >
      > > Many thanks for the info on the 27th.. reg. I have my 2X Great Grandfathers Service papers. I know that he enlisted in 1843 in Enniskillen itself. The papers then don't mention where he was between then and 1854 when he went out to India. Was out there until 1866 when he was sent home and discharged through ill health( Chelsea out pensioner) That was when he married for the 2nd time ( to my 2x Great Grandmother)Can't find anything about a 1st marriage /death of his 1st wife in India. So it looks as if it might have been in the period 1843 - 1854 unless she was on the troopship Charlotte which sunk off S. Africa. Can find list of surviors but no ships manifest.
      > >
      > > Oh well back to googling and searching! BTW, there didn't seem to be any records in Enniskillen castle ----- and no one to ask!
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help.
      > >
      > > Maureen
      > > > Hi Maureen
      > > >
      > > > Have a look at this - gives a brief history. There are a few other bits on google too
      > > > http://www.regimental-art.com/inniskilling_fusiliers1.htm

    • Joss OKelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Replied direct just in case mentioning a researcher around here constitutes advertising - don't want to get banned!