Re: [milgenire] William Alcock, Court Martial

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
      Hello,
      This is likely to be your man located in Army Deserters 1828-1840 on Findmypast

      FMP is a pay service but using the option to purchase small blocks of credits cost can be kept quite low.

      Findmypast.co.uk registers of convicts in prison hulks 1818-1831 (ADM6), after-trial calendars of prisoners 1855-1931 (CRIM 9) are other items that may well be your man, possibly relating to the time between the Court Martial finding and transportation.

      As to the other parts of your question the first thing to bear in mind is that by the Act of Union of 1801 establishing the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland the question of whether he was a British or Irish soldier is redundant. There is a single British Army of which he would have been a member. Furthermore, to be stationed in Ireland in this period is no different than being stationed at any of the other barracks/stations in the United Kingdom.

      I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if he lived in Ireland. He will have of course during the time he was stationed there.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
        Incidentally, on what basis do you infer a 4th Light Dragoons connection? Was this your man's regiment and what evidence do you have for this inference?

        You must also have evidence of the location of the Court Martial. Is there unequivocal evidence of this?

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
          You could check failteromhat for info.
          Ancesstry have access to British Army members but that's a paying site. Youve probably already checked Familysearch . Irishgenealogy is free. Rootsireland charges €5 to download details on sacramental records.
          Maggie the Dub

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Hec Alcock
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

            Hello Donnacha

            Thank you for you reply,

            I did check with FMP a few weeks back and I think the person you have found was tried in 1831, (The Morley arrived in Sydney Cove 3/3/1828) but I will get back to the library and check out the link.

            Am learning a lot on English history. Probably back in the 50s I would have been taught about the Union of 1801 but that was a long time ago!  Am grateful for the information. I was thinking that the two armies were different, and William may have been reared in Ireland and therefore not the William I was after.

            Will also check out the court martials you mentioned tomorrow.

            Regards your second memo. Someone from another group suggested he may be with the 4th Light Dragoons. I did not state he was in this unit but it was a possibility.

            The evidence that there was a court martial comes from his Certificate of Freedom Certificate that states

            Certificate of Freedom.

            Vessel - Morley

            landed Sydney Cove: 3/3/1828

            CF no: 34/0954

            Native Place: Staffordshire

            Offence: Desertion

            Place of Trial: Newbridge Co Kildare by Court  Martial

            Date of Trial: 23/7/1827

            Sentence: 7 years

            Year of Birth: 1802

            Dated: 30/7/1834

            Item: 4/4323, Reel:993

            My thanks for your assistance and information

            Hec

          • Mal McKee
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
              Hi Hec,

              Just to answer your question on whether he was British or Irish.. he would have potentially been both. Everyone in Ireland at that point was both British and Irish, just like everyone in England would have been British and English.

              It's all I can offer currently, and it may not be much help, but bearing in mind these technicalities might be of help at some point.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                Hello Mal,

                Thanks for the information, I am learning more about English history than genealogy currently, Great.

                One day this wall will be crashing down.

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                  Hello Margaret,

                  Thanks for pointing me to a great site, so much information, but unfortunately no sign of my William

                  Thanks for trying

                  Hec

                  Ancesstry have access to British Army members but that's a paying site. Youve probably already checked Familysearch . Irishgenealogy is free. Rootsireland charges €5 to download details on sacramental records.
                  Maggie the Dub

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • lruddick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                    Hec:

                    Found this.  Am I on the right track?

                        Birth:  1802 - Staffordshire, England

                        Marriage:  1837  - Sydney, New South Wales

                        Death:  9 Jan 1858 - Victoria, Australia

                        Parents:  William Alcock, Mary

                        Spouse:  Catherine McNamara

                    Lewis

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                      Hec:

                      Please send me your current email address for more lruddick@...

                      Lewis

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                        Hec:

                        He died at Milkman’s Flat, Victoria, AU ( Jan, 1858 age 57.  They had 10 children.

                        Lewis