William Alcock, Court Martial

  • Hec
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
      Hello, I am new to the group and looking for a William Alcock who was sentenced at a court martial 23/7/1827 at Newbridge Co Kildare. The offence was desertion and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He arrived in Sydney 1828.I believe he was born in Staffordshire UK about 1802

      I am aware that the 4th Light Dragoons were active at this time but cannot find any link to him in this unit.

      I have no other information.

      Is there information on the court martial?
      Was he a British or Irish soldier?
      Did he live in Ireland?

      Any help would be most appreciated
      Cheers
      Hec Alcock
    • lruddick
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
        Hec:

        http://shadowsoftime.co.nz/4ths/fourths.html This website shows that there
        are records of courts-martial's for the period you are looking for.
        Unfortunately I find that obtaining copies of these records are difficult.
        Individuals transported to Australia are not that difficult and you should
        find information on him using the Australian resources.

        1814 : The troops were immediately dispatched to Ireland for a tour of duty
        - in those days there was no official leave nor a particular welcome home !
        They marched to London where they were inspected at Hounslow Heath. After a
        march to Lichfield where the regiment effected a reduction of two troops,
        they continued on to Liverpool and landed in Dublin in August.

        1815-1819 : After six months in Dublin, the headquarters moved to Carlow in
        the February, with the troops dispersed increasingly over the entire south
        of the country. The reason for the dispersal was that Napoleon had escaped
        from Elba and his landing in France had required other regiments from
        Ireland. By the summer, the 4th Dragoons were the only regiment left in the
        country.
        In November, the headquarters moved to new barracks in Cahir, where they
        stayed until 1819, when it moved to Cork.

        Lewis

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
          Hec:

          More unit history:
          1819 : The regiment finished a tour of duty in Ireland and moved to the West
          Country, with headquarter in Exeter and troops in Plymouth, Truro and
          Taunton - helping the excise men to control the smuggling.

          1820 : In the spring they marched to Birmingham with two troops detached at
          Coventry but a few weeks later they were called to London and were posted to
          Croydon, Lewisham and adjacent towns.

          1821 : In July, with the coronation of George IV, the regiment moved to
          Greenwich and Blackheath. After the coronation, they went to Romford
          Barracks to prepare for a tour of duty in India - they were increased in
          size to nine troops (each of about 50 men).
          On the 31st December at 3.00am, the regiment marched from Romford Barracks
          for Tilbury docks, bound for India.

          1822 : In May, the regiment arrived in India (Bombay harbour) and traveled
          250 miles north to the Bay of Cambay, and then marched 50 miles north to
          Kaira.

          1823-1826 : Due to terrible health conditions with cholera and fever being
          prevalent, the regiment suffered tremendous losses :-

          61 died in 1823;
          83 died in 1824;
          104 died in 1825 and
          195 died in 1826!

          In autumn 1826, orders were given for the regiment to move south to better
          conditions in Kirkee.

          1827 : In February, the regiment arrived in Kirkee - but the barracks were
          not complete and so they spent six months under canvas until the building
          was completed in June. From then on, the health situation improved so that
          the death rate fell to around 30 men a year - a figure that was considered
          very good in those days.

          http://www.genes.plus.com/ARMYLIST/Dragoons.htm

          He may have deserted in Ireland before the unit was sent back to England.
          If so, he was away from the unit for some period of time.

          Lewis

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
            Hec:

            I see from the internet that you are from "down under". When I visited
            Australia I found your computerized records in your libraries very good for
            anyone who had arrived as a result of transportation unlike those who went
            there as immigrants. These were libraries in Hobart and Melbourne.

            Lewis

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013

              Gidday Lewis,

              You are correct that I am from  Australia , from a town called Wallan, Victoria .

              I have exhausted all the Aus database and groups to find my William in Australia , plus several overseas!

              I am trying to prove two things:

              1. Find some documents to prove the William of the “Morley” ship is the person that married Catherine McNamara in Sydney , 9/11/1837

              2. To locate the ancestors of William of “Morley”. By achieving this I may also get to resolve the first point.

              I am leaning toward they are one and the same person, both born in Staffordshire around 1802, Cannot find another W. Alcock arriving in Aust around that time either as a convict or a free settler.

              The history of the 4th was most interesting, It would appear they were in India (Kirkee) in 1827, so he may have been with another regiment

              Thanks for your replies

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013

                Hec:

                If you can prevail upon someone in England to go to the National Archives those documents that I provided you a list of should contain his court martial record and your answers except for the marriage information.

                Members of my extended family helped to found Ballarat west of you.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2013
                  Hello,
                  This is likely to be your man located in Army Deserters 1828-1840 on Findmypast

                  FMP is a pay service but using the option to purchase small blocks of credits cost can be kept quite low.

                  Findmypast.co.uk registers of convicts in prison hulks 1818-1831 (ADM6), after-trial calendars of prisoners 1855-1931 (CRIM 9) are other items that may well be your man, possibly relating to the time between the Court Martial finding and transportation.

                  As to the other parts of your question the first thing to bear in mind is that by the Act of Union of 1801 establishing the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland the question of whether he was a British or Irish soldier is redundant. There is a single British Army of which he would have been a member. Furthermore, to be stationed in Ireland in this period is no different than being stationed at any of the other barracks/stations in the United Kingdom.

                  I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if he lived in Ireland. He will have of course during the time he was stationed there.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
                    Incidentally, on what basis do you infer a 4th Light Dragoons connection? Was this your man's regiment and what evidence do you have for this inference?

                    You must also have evidence of the location of the Court Martial. Is there unequivocal evidence of this?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
                      You could check failteromhat for info.
                      Ancesstry have access to British Army members but that's a paying site. Youve probably already checked Familysearch . Irishgenealogy is free. Rootsireland charges €5 to download details on sacramental records.
                      Maggie the Dub

                      Sent from my iPhone
                    • Hec Alcock
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                        Hello Donnacha

                        Thank you for you reply,

                        I did check with FMP a few weeks back and I think the person you have found was tried in 1831, (The Morley arrived in Sydney Cove 3/3/1828) but I will get back to the library and check out the link.

                        Am learning a lot on English history. Probably back in the 50s I would have been taught about the Union of 1801 but that was a long time ago!  Am grateful for the information. I was thinking that the two armies were different, and William may have been reared in Ireland and therefore not the William I was after.

                        Will also check out the court martials you mentioned tomorrow.

                        Regards your second memo. Someone from another group suggested he may be with the 4th Light Dragoons. I did not state he was in this unit but it was a possibility.

                        The evidence that there was a court martial comes from his Certificate of Freedom Certificate that states

                        Certificate of Freedom.

                        Vessel - Morley

                        landed Sydney Cove: 3/3/1828

                        CF no: 34/0954

                        Native Place: Staffordshire

                        Offence: Desertion

                        Place of Trial: Newbridge Co Kildare by Court  Martial

                        Date of Trial: 23/7/1827

                        Sentence: 7 years

                        Year of Birth: 1802

                        Dated: 30/7/1834

                        Item: 4/4323, Reel:993

                        My thanks for your assistance and information

                        Hec

                      • Mal McKee
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
                          Hi Hec,

                          Just to answer your question on whether he was British or Irish.. he would have potentially been both. Everyone in Ireland at that point was both British and Irish, just like everyone in England would have been British and English.

                          It's all I can offer currently, and it may not be much help, but bearing in mind these technicalities might be of help at some point.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                            Hello Mal,

                            Thanks for the information, I am learning more about English history than genealogy currently, Great.

                            One day this wall will be crashing down.

                            Thanks

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                              Hello Margaret,

                              Thanks for pointing me to a great site, so much information, but unfortunately no sign of my William

                              Thanks for trying

                              Hec

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                                Hec:

                                Found this.  Am I on the right track?

                                    Birth:  1802 - Staffordshire, England

                                    Marriage:  1837  - Sydney, New South Wales

                                    Death:  9 Jan 1858 - Victoria, Australia

                                    Parents:  William Alcock, Mary

                                    Spouse:  Catherine McNamara

                                Lewis

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                                  Hec:

                                  Please send me your current email address for more lruddick@...

                                  Lewis

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                                    Hec:

                                    He died at Milkman’s Flat, Victoria, AU ( Jan, 1858 age 57.  They had 10 children.

                                    Lewis