Re: [milgenire] Chelsea / Kilmainham pensioner

  • Annette Code
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
      Good question, that is how I've always imagined it worked not having need of it myself. I use a program similar to find my past and it just gives the numbers as well but nothing for George Magee.

      You could probably email them and ask what there would be to see. Check the dates they are open as I went there to find them closed. I think it was a long weekend/bank holiday.

      Annette Code

      Éamann

      The number “1789” after his name was his regiment number. I imagine that the letter “p” above his name stands for “pension”

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
        A Chara,
        Here is where you would start should you go to Kew and it certainly isn't encouraging:

        http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/DisplayCatalogueDetails.asp?CATID=13181&CATLN=3&FullDetails=True

        Note particularly the following:

        "The Friends of The National Archives will continue to describe this material from piece WO 121/137 onwards and the resulting data will be uploaded into the system over the next few years."

        Here is the description in the New Catalogue, which doesn't really go farther:

        http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C177336

        It does use the term "nominal roll' so it looks like film of a large collection of sheets for the year 1887 and it seems that each entry has the form of the one FMP sent you. What the "Friends" activity may add later is a mystery for now.

        At best before start going off to Kew I would use their online help system which I think can get you to human at some level.

        Slainte

        Donnacha

        Hope this is of some help
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
          Annette agus Donnacha,

          Thank you both very much for replying to my query of some time ago and please excuse me for replying so late.

          I have taken note of what you both have said.

          I will sit back for a while longer in the hope that some day the actual file of George Magee will be digitalised and posted on-line.

          Thanks again for taking time to reply to me!

          Beannachtaí,

          Éamann