Re: [milgenire] Enlistment procedures in Belfast 1915

  • Margaret Doyle
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2012
      Hi, maybe you could join ire-dud@... as I think some people on that forum may be able to help you. I know they have done so in the past re historic regimental info.
      Maggie

      On 10 Nov 2012, at 13:06, Éamann Ó Ruairc <eamann@...> wrote:

      Dia daoibh uilig!

      My great-grandfather George Magee enlisted in the British army in Belfast on 5 June 1915, aged about 55. Since he had lost an arm in Burma in 1887, he served as a drill sergeant.

      When discharged he was in the Labour Corps (reg. number 329692).

      Since the Labour Corps did not exist in 1915, I am trying to find out which regiment he joined in 1915.

      Any suggestions as to how I could do that?

      What was the enlistment procedure? Could he have chosen any regiment or would he have been assigned to a regiment?

      He had served in 1885-87 in the The King’s Regiment (Liverpool) but was pensioned out having lost an arm. (See my post about not being able to find his file in the Chelsea Pensioners list.) Could he have rejoined that regiment?

      Given his infirmity,

      Below is a photo of him. Does his uniform give any indication of his regiment? I do not know when it was taken. Perhaps he is wearing already a Labour Corps uniform?

      His medal roll card and his Silver War Badge file do not say in which regiment he enlisted.

      Thank you in advance for any insights!

      Beannachtaí,

      Éamann

      <George Magee.jpg>
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2012
        You may be able to get some ideas from th National Archives information here:

        Regards

        Donnacha

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
          Maggie and Donnacha

          Very sorry for the long delay in replying! Thank you for your suggestions which I will follow up (but without much hope).

          Éamann