Edward Keating

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2011
      Hi
      Looking for help tracing GG Grandfather's military record. He joined the British Army in Sunderland on 23rd June 1876. His enlistment papers record that he was aged 22 and was born in the parish of Adam & Eve in Dublin. It also records that he had previously served with The Royal Longford Militia. There are no more specific details but I would like to find out more about his service in the Militia, can anyone advise on the best steps?

      Thanks in advance

      Mike
    • Margaret Doyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2011
        Hi, if you google 'Rootsweb Military records' you'll get some hits for sites you can search.
        I'm surprised to see mention of Adam+Eve as a parish. I was raised beside that Church, it's run by the Franciscan order. When I was growing up in the 60s, we went to mass there but our Parish Church was St. Audoen in High st. Adam+Eves didn't become a Parish till the 70s. That's not to say it could have been a Parish in 1876, it's just surprising.
        It's more widely known as Merchants Key Chapell, as it faces onto the Quay.
        At the other side, it faces onto Cook street.the gated laneway belonging to the Chapell, which runs from Cook st. to Merchants quay was called Skippers Alley.
        Most of my relatives lived on Ushers quay+ they were all baptised in St. Michael+Johns Church.
        Maggie the Dub
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2011
          Hi Maggie

          Thanks for the reply.

          I've googled "Rootsweb" but haven't had much luck.

          I did get some feedback from the Dublin pages of Rootschat about "Adam & Eve" parish in 1852 and it was listed between numbers 4 and 5 Merchants Quay as "Entrance to Franciscan Convent or Adam & Eve Chapel"

          Mike