Re: [milgenire] 2nd. Connaught Rangers

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2011
      Thanks for the link to the Army Children Archive and its fine collection of photographs. I'm copying the intro paragraph here:

      ARMY CHILDREN’S GRAVES
      Not only was the child mortality rate much higher in earlier centuries than it is today, but the nature of their parents’ profession has placed some unfortunate children of serving soldiers in the wrong place at the wrong time, so that while some died on the march (see, for instance, ... others were killed by enemy action. And because army families have historically been constantly on the move, the graves of army children who died in the places where their parents were posted (sometimes of diseases, such as cholera and diphtheria, common to those locations) may be found in some corner of a foreign field or else in the UK, but still a long way from ‘home’.

      I expect there are many of such cemetaries thoughout the stations of the old British Empire. I wish success to the project of documenting them.