High Mount County Cork

  • dianamuir@plci.us
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 7:46 PM
      Can anyone tell me where High Mount in County Cork is?  It is supposed to be where William Hobart was from in the 1700s.

      Thanks!

      Diana

      What good is magic if you can't save a unicorn?
      NOTICE: This message and any attachment(s) are intended only for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, the sender did not intend to waive and does not waive any privilege or the confidentiality of the message and any attachment(s), and you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender at the email address and delete the message and attachments from your computer and network. Thank you.
    • Annette Code
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7 11:44 PM
        Looked at two webpages for Cork Military Barracks and none refer to High Mount. Rootsweb had one of the pages which had excerpts from Michael Cronin's work, also the other website gave information from his work also.

        Also a check of the name in a 'place-name' search came back as no record also

        Tried googling High Mount and got a reference on google books"A genealogical and Heraldic History of of the commoners,..........John Wright Esquire of Wightfield, near Limerick, Sherrif of Limerick 1729 and filled the civil chair in 1741 he married
        "his cousin Frances daughter of William Hobart Esq. of High Mount, Cork and Mount Melick, Kings county" and had issue (children)

        there is also a reference in Burke's Peerage, Heraldic and genealogical history is also a google book.

        After looking at that I think High Mount would of been the name of the house of William Hobart, brits often named their houses, especially those of size and significance.

        There are two William Hobart's born in Cork 1819 and 1828, and the 1819 William has a father William. There are Hobart's that go back to 1761 in Offaly or Kings county
        -note above Mount Melick- they name seems to be from either Co. Cork or Offaly/Kings

        Annette Code

      • jossok62
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8 5:06 AM
          As Annette says, if you google Highmount House Cork you get a link to Debretts which features the Hobart family. I'm not sure where it was in Co Cork - near the Limerick border perhaps as just over on the Limerick side there are two places called Highmount - I wonder if they were a part of the estate?

          These are 1..Baroney of Connells Upper, Civil Parish of CLONCREW, PLU of Newcastle, 3 miles NE from from Dromcolloher (Drumcollogher), on the road to Ballyregran in the R.C Parish of Drumcollogher

          2. Baroney of Connells Upper, Civil Parish of KILMEEDY, PLU of Newcastle, 5 miles east of Newcastle on the road to Castletown in the R.C. Parish of Feenagh.

          My connection is that my great x 2 grandfather Timothy O'Kelly joined the 1st Madras Fusiliers in 1840 and gave his place of origin as Highmount, Dromcolliher - before he joined up and went to India he was a humble road mender so obviously no connection with the posh folk in the big house!

          A helpful person on the Limerick Rootsweb list explained the two Highmounts as follows - It generally goes back to the work by Griffith as head of the Boundary Dept. of the Ordnance Survey in the 1820's (this was before he took over the Valuation Dept. a couple of decades later). He was given more or less carte blanche to standardize boundaries of townlands and civil parishes. And he did it with a vengeance.

          In this Highmount case, there was a large townland - over 900 acres - which, for some reason, Griffith broke up and split between civil parishes. So the two Highmounts are abutting townlands, with a mile-and-a-quarter-long border between them. The larger of the two - in Kilmeedy civil parish - has a mile-long frontage on the Cork border, while the smaller Highmount is "deprived of that honor" [gr] by a 200-yard-wide sliver of Cloncrew townland.

          Perhaps your ancestor owned the land than mine emigrated from?

          Joss

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8 6:17 AM
            Good morning,

            Thanks so much for the information. Yes, we've finally located the right Hobart family in County Cork, but still don't have the exact manner in which they connect. My gggrandfather apparently came from one of the younger brothers lineages. The problem has been that records are so limited, we haven't been able to get an accurate accounting of all the sons and daughters descendants from Sir Miles (Myles) Hobart.

            Sir Miles grandson, William (Esquire) Hobart lived in High Mount, County Cork, so was probably in the lesser wealthy townland.  We know he had two daughters (Grizelda and Frances) but can't find the rest of his family. There is a Patrick Hobert/Hobart in Youghall in the 1848 evaluation, who is somehow related to both them and Alexander Hobert (my gggrandfather), but no records to support it, as of yet.

            We know William had a brother Andrew who had a son and a daughter (from the landed gentry books) but haven't been able to find a name for them. Thanks so much for locating High Mount for us.  I really appreciate it!

            Diana Muir
            Cordova, IL, USA

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 8 10:41 PM
              Guessing that these folks would by Church of Ireland. You can contact them to see if they have the right parishes then get someone going to Dublin to go to the Representative Library for research. Then you can connect up familes, its really the only way to see the actual parish records as you can buy single records till the cows come home.

              The Foundation website www.rootsireland.ie only includes part of Cork - the North East side and they do not have a record of Grizelda in N.E. Cork or in any of their Irish Records
              however, there are six counties that don't belong.

              Annette Code
            • dianamuir@plci.us
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9 5:47 AM
                Thanks Annette!

                I have a fourth cousin who lives in the same town that is traveling to Ireland.  I'm hoping to give him some good ideas on where to start.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9 11:03 AM
                  The Representative Library is about a 20 minute ride on the bus from the National Library in Dublin. If you want a map, address let me know. The email address is

                  She will need to set aside a minimum of one full day, if not a few more. If they have the parish tell her to skip the National Library microfilmed records and get the real parish register in her hands!

                  Annette
                • Annette Code
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 9 11:11 AM
                    These are from the Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837:

                    Simon Hobart, Monevawnshear, Donaghmore, Cork

                    Mr. Jos. Hobart, Castleturvin, Athenry Galway

                    Mr. Hobart, Ballingtemple, St. Finbar's, Cork

                    James Hobart, Upper Lockstown, Hollywood, Wicklow

                    Michl. Hobart, Ballymackibbit, Ardagh, Cork

                    Frederick Hobart, Ballintemple, St. Finbar's Cork

                    W.L. Hobart, Esquire, Parsonstown/Birr, Kings/Offaly

                    St. Finbar's has a cemetary with I believe some inscriptions if I remember rightly.
                    You can try this at www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Cork
                    and

                    Annette

                  • dianamuir@plci.us
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11 6:27 AM
                      Thanks Annette!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11 10:51 AM
                        A new bit of information this morning from the Genealogical Society of Ireland.

                        The Medal Society of Ireland has information of interest (publications) for ancestors or relatives that served in the Irish or other armed forces or in the merchant marine.

                        Annette