Re: [milgenire] Youghal Military in 1812? Alexander Hobert

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 11:13 PM
      Hi Diana,
      1800-1815 was the period of the Napoleonic Wars and Cork was more or less the centre at which the British Army was marshalled and dispatched to battle. Indeed much of the great complex of forts and defences in Cork and the Harbour owe their existence to this period in which "The French are coming" was an idea well justified by the sight of Napoleon's progress through Europe.

      The best place to look for evidence of your ancestor's military service if he was an officer would be the Army Lists of the day. Many of the later lists are freely available online at Internet Archive (  http://www.archive.org/  )

      A detailed accont of the Army Lists can be found here:

      The trick is to take some of the literal title from this table of lists and search for that List at the IA; e.g. one search might be "A List of the General and Field Officers"

      There isn't much of the earlier material there unfortunately,and what there is there I took a look for Hobart, Hobert and Hubbard and came up blank. But the army lists are definitely what will tell you whether your oral history of this man is accurate. They won't of course tell you anything about anyone other than officers.