Re: [milgenire] Royal Barracks (Collins Barrack) Benburb St Dublin

  • MARIE NOLAN
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2011
      Hi Donnacha,
      I was starting to think the whole of Dublin was a British Army barracks and I lived within walking distance of all those barracks. Wanting to find a relations parents  I ordered several  birth registrations certs from GRO and the only match I got was a COI record verified by the fathers name and occupation. Then I wasn't sure because the person I have was catholic so I decided to check some more records and found William Walsh at Royal Barracks with all 4 children registered different birth years  all on the same page which is also odd also COI.
      His occupation "Store Keeper" wasn't sure if that was military, I'm not that familiar with military I'm just looking for family and finding so many  were in British Army,RIC and DMP it was just an occupation they had to work to eat.
      Again thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I will look at the W097 records again I am getting a little more familiar with them now.
      Marie

      From: MARIE NOLAN <nolanm@...>
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Margaret, thank you wasn't sure exactly what a store keeper would be in relation to the military makes sense now that you have explained it. I am originally from Dublin I visited the musuem last year when I was there. I do remember it as Collins Barracks.
      Dublinheritage is where I got the information,

      Another question his daughter married 1864 and her residence was House of Industry Hospital. I know Infirmary Road is near Benburb St did that address have anything to do with the barracks or army hospital.

       I'm doing the family tree and found so many relatives married to british army men. I have a listof all the barracks in Dublin and surrounding counties.

      Thanks so much
      Marie