Re: [milgenire] Drum horses

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8 12:08 PM
      Hello John,
      The following link provides a somewhat detailed history of the band of 3rd Dragoon Guards:

      You will see here that it speaks of "the kettle-drummer J. Taylor" for what seems to be the period you mention for your grandfather's time in that regiment. No mention of rank is made. Unfortunately, although this entry refers to several pictures none of them seem to be on the site. You might try searching for them from the clues in the text or better still emailing the site owner and asking about them.

      It is interesting that you have your grandfathers service record and a pity that there isn't more detail on it. On the other hand it may well be that your grandfather was a drummer bandsman and the story grew up about the drum horse role, and indeed he may have performed that role on occassion.

      The only other source I can think of where you might find some other detail would be the Pay Lists and Muster Rolls for the period, but this would involve considerable effort and expense. These records, if they exist, would be at the National Archives, Kew. Here's some guidance:

      Sorry I can't be of more help. You're lucky to have the service record though as many of the more recent ones didn't survive.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8 5:09 PM
        You may find the following cards of interest:

        3DG

        6th Inniskilling Dragoons