27 th regiment of Foot( Inniskillings)

  • Maureen and Paddy Stewart
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2009
      Hi My name is Maureen and I have just joined this list. Does anyone have any idea what the 27th were doing before they went out to India in 1855?
    • Joss OKelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2009
        Hi Maureen

        Have a look at this - gives a brief history. There are a few other bits on google too
        http://www.regimental-art.com/inniskilling_fusiliers1.htm

        BTW, yours is the first message I have received since I joined in early October last year! Is there anyone out there?

        Joss

        --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Maureen and Paddy Stewart" <maureen2411@...> wrote:

        > Hi My name is Maureen and I have just joined this list. Does anyone have any idea what the 27th were doing before they went out to India in 1855?

      • Denis Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2009
          Some of you will already know of the disaster that befell the list now some time ago. At the time there were some 300+ subscribers. Then the list disappeared from Yahoo. This disiaster included loss of the database of messages together with the list of subscribers and their contact details and all other files, pics etc.

          All my attempts to pursue the issue with Yahoo failed to get a response. Not that they could have done anything if a disc crash was involved and assuming they don't keep duplicates.

          So this is the background to the absence of traffic on the replacement list. (I had to wait for the original list name to be deleted from Yahoo which didn't occur for some time after the body of the list had disappeared - if at that time you had looked for a list 'milgenire' on Yahoo the entry came up but then on attempting to go further the 'no such list' message would appear.

          This was to say the least disheartening for me, more especially since when I mailed thos addresses that I could glean from my own mailbox only a handful re-subscribed - some had changed in the interim and so on.

          I do intend to take some steps to spread the list in the near future so hang in there you 'loyalists' (no pun intended) and if you can take any action yourselves to increase the membership, feel free.

          Regard

          Donnacha
          (Admin)

          http://www.flickr.com/gift/
        • brian magaoidh
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
            Hi Donnacha,
            I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work and best wishes on getting the list back on track.
            Did you know that a local group in west Belfast has issued a booklet on the Connaught Rangers?
            It is called "The 6th Connaught Rangers. Belfast Nationalists and the Great War. Further information you can contact : 6th Connaught Rangers Research Project, 426 Falls Road, Belfast BT 12 6EN.   connaughtrangers@...
            Cheers

            Brian Magaoidh

          • joykm3
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
              I am sorry to read about the list having disappeared.

              Thank you for letting us know.

              Joy
            • Maureen
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
                --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Joss OKelly" <jokelly@...> wrote:
                > Hi Joss,

                By now you will know why you haven't heard from anyone. dreadful thing to happen.

                Many thanks for the info on the 27th.. reg. I have my 2X Great Grandfathers Service papers. I know that he enlisted in 1843 in Enniskillen itself. The papers then don't mention where he was between then and 1854 when he went out to India. Was out there until 1866 when he was sent home and discharged through ill health( Chelsea out pensioner) That was when he married for the 2nd time ( to my 2x Great Grandmother)Can't find anything about a 1st marriage /death of his 1st wife in India. So it looks as if it might have been in the period 1843 - 1854 unless she was on the troopship Charlotte which sunk off S. Africa. Can find list of surviors but no ships manifest.

                Oh well back to googling and searching! BTW, there didn't seem to be any records in Enniskillen castle ----- and no one to ask!

                Thanks for your help.

                Maureen

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
                  Agree that it is dreadful about the lost posts and files. Thanks to Donnacha for all his hard work. I belong to another Yahoo Genealogy mailing list (the Monmouthshire one) - will give them the heads up that this sort of disaster is possible...

                  Maureen - You have tried Muster Rolls, at Kew presumably? A long job but should yield results if they have them. Good luck!

                  Joss

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
                    --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Joss OKelly" <jokelly@...> wrote:
                    >Hi again Joss,

                    Snap as regards to the Monmouth mailing list! I also belong to quite a few of the Somerset and Wiltshire ones too.

                    No I haven't looked at the Muster Rolls at the TNA. We have retired back to Northern Ireland - or rather my husband has- and Kew is a tadge too far for a day trip. Will have to get a researcher on to it. Can you recommend one. The one I used before has retired. He was great to start with but then his mind started to go. I was getting someones elses info and vice versa!

                    Maureen from a cold wet and windy Northern Ireland!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
                      Replied direct just in case mentioning a researcher around here constitutes advertising - don't want to get banned!