Re: [milgenire] Martin Doyle VC, MM

  • Denis Grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2008
      This is indeed an interesting question.  As we know, large numbers of Irish enlisted.  I have come across the the suggestion that the subsequent shift of allegiance to the  Republican cause was not unconnected with disillusionment over the failure to deliver what they believed to have been promised - Home Rule.  And this moreso since the War had been partly sold as one in defence of threatened small nations - "plucky little Belgium" &c.  I suspect that there were many such.

      "The Easter Rising and the War of independence which followed pushed the story of the Irish who fought in WW1 into the background. Most Irishmen came back from the war disillusioned and wondering what they had been fighting for. Circumstances at home dictated they could take no pride in the role they played in WW1 fighting in the British Army. Indeed in the following War of Independence 1919-1921 some of the most effective IRA fighters were ex-British servicemen (most notably Tom Barry...

      Without wishing to detract from all the others, of particular note are those like Martin Doyle VC who were decorated.  I know of one other Volunteer who was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal during WW1.

      There's probably some published research - perhaps something in The Sword.