Re: Galway Militia - John HALL b1873 Ballinakill, Loughrea, Galway. 65th Foot

  • Danny Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2011
      Hello Marie. The attestation papers (WO97) contain amongst other things, the service record. It was there that I found details of his "Fraudulent enlistment from the Galway Militia". I am "sure" he wouldn't have been the only one! Happy hunting!

      --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "MARIE" <nolanm@...> wrote:

      > Hi Danny, where did you find the information on the Galway Militia my g/grandfather was from Galway also no idea of the location.
      > He was probably a decade younger than your relative.
      > I have been trying to get information on him for a while. I would appreciate the information.
      > Thank you
      > Marie
      >

      > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Hall" <dannywh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for that Maggie. Unfortunately I am in Sweden so contacting the Museum in personleaves me in my current plight. However, I shall write to them. I wasn't aware of that resource, thank you again.
      > >
      > > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie D" <johnmaggie11@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi, Collins Barracks has a muesium attached now+Ive heard they have records for those who joined both the Irish+British Armys. But you will need to check this out.
      > > > It's beside the Pheonix Park in Dublin.
      > > > Maggie the Dub

    • MARIE NOLAN
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2011
        Thanks Danny, I great uncle joined up twice, went awol first time and then went back to WW1 under his second name.
        I'm on a mission.
        Thanks again Marie