      From: Mary Ann Camlis <mcamlis@...>
      Subject: [milgenire] School Records
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com
      Hi Donnacha - I know that William Hughes Hall was in the army in East
      India, that he married & had 2 children & that he died there. I know
      what became of his wife & children. What I am trying to learn is when
      his father died & if he was in the military as well. His father died
      between 1807 & 1825. In 1825 his mother was living in Pimlico
      England. Her name was Hope & I believe her maiden name was Clifford.
      William Hughes was born & baptized in Waterford Ireland. The Clifford
      Family I believe she was part of was the family of Miller Clifford, a
      Justice of the Peace, who died in 1793 in Wexford, Ireland. William
      Hughes' cadet application had no letters of recommendation of his
      ability or character as others I have read did & he was recommended
      to William Wigram the director by his mother. Although it did say he
      had gone to the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, it seems odd to
      me that a young man with no references who was recommended by his
      widow mother would be accepted in the East India army unless the
      director was already familiar to him. William Wigram was a cousin of
      his mother & Hope was the sister of Lieutenant Colonel Miller
      Clifford. I am trying to learn about his father as well as what
      became of his mother. I have not been able to find out anything more
      of them. Any ideas?
      Thanks....Mary Ann

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic