      From: Johnny Doyle <john.doyle670@...>
      Subject: Re: [milgenire] Help identifying uniform please
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com

      looking at your photo of Michael Casey on Ancestry, I'm tempted to
      say it's a Labour Corps badge with a bit of glare on the left hand
      side as we look at it.

      Not sure if this helps or hinders but these are the Casey's I came
      across that appear to have a Ballinasloe link (any chance they're related?):

      Name: Patrick Casey
      Birth Place: Ballinasloe
      Residence: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
      Death Date: 2 Feb 1915
      Death Location: Home
      Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
      Rank: Private
      Regiment: Connaught Rangers
      Battalion: 3rd Battalion
      Number: 4247
      Type of Casualty: Died

      Name: Michael Casey
      Birth Place: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
      Residence: Ballinasloe
      Death Date: 29 Apr 1915
      Death Location: France & Flanders
      Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
      Rank: Private
      Regiment: Connaught Rangers
      Battalion: 1st Battalion
      Number: 8728
      Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

      John

      At 22:25 30/06/2010, Michael wrote:

      >Hi All
      >
      >I've attached a photo of my Great Grandfather Michael Casey and am
      >trying to find out who he served with?
      >
      >The picture was taken circa 1919 in Dublin and on his marriage
      >certificate to Bridget Cooney (Dublin, June 1916)his occupation was
      >recorded as Soldier and his residence as Galway. My Gran told me he
      >was from Ballinasloe, which I'm told was a garrison town during the
      >early part of the 20th century.
      >He moved to Liverpool as a civilian in 1929 and died there the
      >following year aged 42. Despite all this information I have
      >struggled to find any record of him on the Irish census of 1901 or
      >1911 or any sign of him in the British Military archives.
      >
      >Any advice would be welcome.
      >
      >Michael

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic