209Re: [milgenire] William Alcock, Court Martial

    Jun 4, 2013
      Incidentally, on what basis do you infer a 4th Light Dragoons connection? Was this your man's regiment and what evidence do you have for this inference?

      You must also have evidence of the location of the Court Martial. Is there unequivocal evidence of this?

      From: Hec <heca@...>
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 3, 2013 6:42:57 PM
      Subject: [milgenire] William Alcock, Court Martial

      Hello, I am new to the group and looking for a William Alcock who was sentenced at a court martial 23/7/1827 at Newbridge Co Kildare. The offence was desertion and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He arrived in Sydney 1828.I believe he was born in Staffordshire UK about 1802

      I am aware that the 4th Light Dragoons were active at this time but cannot find any link to him in this unit.

      I have no other information.

      Is there information on the court martial?
      Was he a British or Irish soldier?
      Did he live in Ireland?

      Any help would be most appreciated
      Cheers