Fwd: LP Monday Message: High Unemployment on Labor Day

  • Mike Blessing
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2010
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: LP Monday Message: High Unemployment on Labor Day
      Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 12:40:30 -0700
      From: Libertarian Party <info@...>
      To: mikewb1971@...

      Libertarian Party <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/423/0/>

      September 6, 2010

      Dear Friend of Liberty,

      It's hard to celebrate Labor Day when unemployment is 9.6 percent.

      Government interference is the single biggest cause of unemployment.
      Minimum wage laws, OSHA, ADA, etc., etc., make it difficult both to
      hire and to fire workers. (And when it's difficult to fire workers,
      it's much less likely that they will be hired in the first place.)
      To reduce unemployment, we need to start repealing laws!

      Section 2.7 of the Libertarian Party platform states: "We support
      repeal of all laws which impede the ability of any person to find
      employment. We oppose government-fostered forced retirement. We
      support the right of free persons to associate or not associate in
      labor unions, and an employer should have the right to recognize or
      refuse to recognize a union. We oppose government interference in
      bargaining, such as compulsory arbitration or imposing an obligation
      to bargain."

      I read today that President Obama wants another $50 billion in
      Keynesian stimulus spending. Stimulus supporters think that
      government spending creates jobs. What they don't seem to understand
      is that the money is taken out of the private sector, which
      decreases private sector spending and investment, and that destroys
      jobs. I believe that stimulus spending destroys more jobs than it
      creates. We'd be much better off with the laissez-faire policies
      advocated by Austrian economic theory.

      It makes me mad to think of all the ways the Republican and
      Democratic congresses, and presidents Bush and Obama, have hurt the
      private sector with all their stimulus and bailout programs.
      (Remember George W. Bush's 2008 "Economic Stimulus Act" with all the
      $600 "rebate" checks?)

      If you'd like to help fight them, please participate in Quiz Across
      America <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/631/0/>.

      Sincerely,

      Wes Benedict
      Executive Director
      Libertarian National Committee

      P.S. If you have not already done so, please join the Libertarian
      Party <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/465/0/>. We are the
      only political party dedicated to free markets and civil liberties.
      You can also renew your membership
      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/465/0/>. Or, you can make a
      contribution separate from membership
      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/472/0/>.

      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/472/0/>
      GET INVOLVED:

      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/520/0/>
      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/525/0/ >
      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/307/0/>
      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/310/0/>

      Paid for by the Libertarian National Committee
      2600 Virginia Ave, N.W. Suite 200, Washington D.C. 20037
      Content not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.

      <http://announce.lp.org/t/30726/1065603/467/0/?3e076d18=bWlrZXdiMTk3MUBnbWFpbC5jb20%3d&c73c8e04=Z2VuZXJhbA%3d%3d&x=0ad6bf4e>