West Michigan Media - WOODTV

  • djousma
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
      Just heard back from local Grand Rapids TV - WOODTV. I don't want to
      go this alone, so when I get more info, I'll be looking for
      other 'volunteers', can you say RUSTY?????? hahaha just kidding
      Rusty, but you get the point.

      Dave

      From: "Dan Limbaugh" <dan.limbaugh@...>
      Subject: RE: [Fwd: [migo] West Michigan Media]
      Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:40:03 -0500
      To: "'Dave Jousma'" <djousma@...>

      Dave;
      Sorry I haven't gotten back to you! Here's the scoop. Gerry Barnaby
      is a feature reporter interested in doing a 3 minute feature on
      geocachers. However, we're not going to do it until it gets a bit
      COOLER!! So...let's stay in touch. And please share this message
      with any others from MIGO.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
        I think Brian needs to get his Big Rapids picnic going and we can
        point Gerry towards that :-) Safety in numbers. How many would still
        show up if they knew a camera was going to be there? Maybe
        geocaching is a sport for radio :D

        Rusty...

      • pmosped@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
          Didn't someone already do a feature on geocaching with Blackie and Co? Wasn't it Gerry Barnaby?  I saw it, and that's how I learned about geocaching.

          Peggy
        • rustypayne
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
            Blackie & Co did a story with the guy from TV-13. They took him out
            to find the cache "July 31 and after by Eight Legs".

            Rusty...

            --- In migo@y..., pmosped@a... wrote:
            > Didn't someone already do a feature on geocaching with Blackie and
            Co? Wasn't
            > it Gerry Barnaby? I saw it, and that's how I learned about
            geocaching.

            > Peggy
          • jamie rich
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002

              Team Sandrich would enjoy the event, depending on the date involved. When you get that nailed down, let us know. If we can help in any way, be glad to!

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
                Suedoenimh will come and will help.  Frank might come also.
              • Stephen Brown
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
                  The Big Rapids forest mall has just been bombed with live geocachin' turkeys.  Film at eleven! --from WKRP-Geocachin' in Cincinatti
                  I think Brian needs to get his Big Rapids picnic going and we can
                  point Gerry towards that :-) Safety in numbers.  How many would still
                  show up if they knew a camera was going to be there?  Maybe
                  geocaching is a sport for radio :D

                  Rusty...

                  --- In migo@y..., "djousma" <djousma@c...> wrote:
                  > Just heard back from local Grand Rapids TV - WOODTV.  I don't want
                  > go this alone, so when I get more info, I'll be looking for
                  > other 'volunteers', can you say RUSTY??????  hahaha  just kidding
                  > Rusty, but you get the point.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • djousma
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                    An event would be fun, but, Gerry typically does live segments in the
                    5:00 news etc. How many of us could get out of work? Unlike the
                    Channel 13 deal, it would not be a typical production, where you
                    might shoot a lot of footage, that they edit down. I can't read
                    their minds, but I could envision, Gerry interviewing one of us,
                    learning what Geocaching is, showing how we use a GPS to find
                    the 'treasure'. All in 3 minutes. Probably should be at a cache
                    location, Pindemonium by eight legs, or Urban Wilderness by Malmute
                    kid, (since they are close to downtown GR), or create a fake cache(to
                    not give away the location on TV where the real one might be, and
                    simulate 'finding the cache'. Of course, to really stir the pot, we
                    could create a cache that has loads of money in it, and find that on
                    TV, and say that's how they all are......hahaha.

                    Just food for thought.

                    Dave
                  • Tim Cahoon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                      I think you have it right on the money Dave. My experience with having
                      Cub Scouts on TV is that you wait hours and then are on TV for a very
                      short time. When done the boys say, is that all?

                      The other format option is they may do a long segment 2-3 minutes to
                      introduce Geocaching and then do teaser updates during the hour where
                      you are looking for the cache so it is found by the end of the hour.

                      I think a fake cache is a great idea especially if its in a wooded area.
                      Kind of like the Travel Channel did for Worlds Greatest Lost Treasures
                      show.

                      2-3 people is all you probably need. More would probably get in the
                      way.

                      I now live in Southfield outside of Detroit. I grew up and still have
                      family in the Clarksville-Saranac area so I grew up with WOODTV, Buck
                      Barry, Captain Woody and Buck Matthews etc.. I glad they taking an
                      interest in Geocaching.