Re: [migo] Re: Last Call for Lyndon Park Geocache

  • Mike Wunderlich
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
      The link in the news post takes you to the geocaching.com boards.

      That comment was made before clarification of the situation.

      It's a long conversation, but round abouts here:

      Rusty hits on the clarified areas.

      Here is a link to the text of the letter we received:

      Hope that clarifies things. I also made a note in the news on our main page
      about this not affecting rec areas and state parks. Thanks for pointing that

      Brad Myers said:
      > --- In migo@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty" <rusty@h...> wrote:
      >> ...But I should set the record straight, the Pinckney &
      >> Waterloo Rec areas are not part of the land the DNR has asked for caches
      >> to be removed from. Their request ONLY applies to State Game Areas. The
      >> state parks, forests, and rec areas each operate under different
      >> management and sets of rules.
      > Rusty, Quantum Fishe, Mike Wunderlich, et al:
      > Thanks for setting me straight. I am now better educated that there are
      > differences between recreation areas, game areas and so on. I'm still a
      > bit confused and I guarantee that I'm not the only one. For example, the
      > MiGO home page has this announcement:
      > determined that geocaching is not a compatable use for areas they provide
      > funding for. In Michigan that includes all State Game Areas and Wildlife
      > Refuges. Because of this new ruling we are forced to ask that all caches
      > placed in those areas be archived and removed
      > immediately."
      > I made the mistake of thinking that since hunting is permitted in
      > recreation areas that it was the same as a game area. I then
      > followed the link to the discussion board where I read Sandrich's post of
      > compatible with it's version of Wildlife Reclamation. Therefore, no
      > Geocaching is allowed on ANY of it's land, or any lands that it
      > funds! ... ...Therefore, Geocaching is now ILLEGAL on any DNR managed
      > land! So we have just lost in excess of 4 million acres of land"
      > Now wait a minute! Aren't the recreation areas managed by the DNR? And do
      > we really have 4 million acres just in game areas?
      > Regardless of all that, I am still closing the geocache. The DNR asks that
      > we move our geocaches at least 300 ft, at least once a
      > year, AND after 14 months of unemployment, I've had to take a job in
      > another part of the state. It will be difficult for me to
      > responsibly manage this geocache from my new home.
      > I believe that Lyndon Park is an EXCELLENT location for a geocache, and I
      > hope that someone in the area sets up another cache there!
      > Brad
      > A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/2_TolB/TM

      Mike Wunderlich