Rep meeting updates

  • FairTax MI 10th
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      Happy New Year everyone!

      As I met with state representatives in the last several weeks
      I have received from strong support to good interest from all of them.

      Michigan Representatives:
      Daniel Acciavatti - 32nd District
      Brian Palmer (Majority Whip & Tax Policy member) - 36th District
      Phil Pavlov - 81st District
      Tory Rocca - 30th District

      If you live in their district I encourage you to let them know you support
      the FairTax for Michigan. Encourage them to put jobs first on their agenda.

      http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp
      You can find their office contact information here by county or zip.

      Please take the time to arrange a meeting with your state representative to
      educate them on how the FairTax works and its benefits for our economy in
      Michigan. I or someone would be happy to attend the meeting with you if you
      prefer.

      Keep up the good work!

      Ron Babin
      AFFT Volunteer Deputy State Director MI
      Sterling Heights, MI
      ron.babin@...
      www.fairtaxmi.org
      www.fairtax.org
    • Podhola, Glenn R.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
        Just when I was making good headway with MI state Rep. Herb Kehrl on the FairTax, when he passed away just a few weeks ago. The local Commissioners & Mayors office are arguing with the Governors office about getting a replacement, but they are unwilling for the county to absorb the cost of another election and the state has not agreed to pay the cost. We are still waiting for a decision. Mr. Kehrl was a teacher of mine and my wife's in high school and he was a good man. We had many conversations about the FairTax and we corresponding by email. He got sick one month and died the next.

        Glenn Podhola
        Monroe County volunteer
        glenn.podhola@...
        586-276-1145

        ________________________________

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Roger Buchholtz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
          Glen,

          The best approach is to educate and make a FairTax advocate out of potential candidates before they are elected.  They tend to be open minded when they are seeking votes, rather than when they are in office and "know it all".  Please seek out any Democrat or Republican or other candidate and bring them on board as early as possible.  If the FairTax becomes a campaign issue it is good for our cause because the political debate among candidates will educate the public, and we well know that the more the public hears about the FairTax the more they want to hear.

          I always stress to candidates that advocacy of the FairTax will do more to get them elected than any other issue.  This statement can be backed up by:
          • In the last national election cycle every candidate that actively advocated the FairTax in their campaign won their race, with only one exception (a Republican running in an overwhelmingly Democrat district).
          • The popularity of the FairTax is demonstrated by the fact that a book on taxes, The FairTax Book by Neal Boortz and Rep. John Linder, was on top of the New York Times best seller list for many months this past summer and fall.  (By comparison, the Flat Tax book by Steve Forbes that was released two weeks earlier never appeared on any best seller list...never appeared on the radar screen.)
          • Studies have shown that when the public is shown all the alternatives for tax reform, 85% of them will choose the FairTax over all the other alternatives.
          I also stress to candidates that the FairTax is NOT radical change.  Instead, it was the implementation of the income tax that was radical.  In fact it was so radical and out of step with our Founding Fathers that it took a Constitutional Amendment to enact it.  The FairTax RETURNS us to the simple, un intrusive and efficient form of indirect taxation intended by our Founders.

          Roger Buchholtz
          MI FairTax Director (volunteer)
          P.O. Box 141 / 5620 Clato St.
          Kalamazoo, MI  49004
          phone/fax:  (269) 345-0950, cell:  (586) 530-3298

          On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:34:00 -0500 "Podhola, Glenn R." <Glenn.Podhola@...> writes:
          > "The 56th District House seat left vacant by Herb Kehrl won't be
          > filled until November, Gov. Grandholm has decided." This is the
          > first line of the article published in yesterday's Monroe Evening
          > News.  It goes on to state that the local officials concern over
          > "tight budget times" was the deciding factor.  The only name
          > mentioned for the November election was a previous candidate, John
          > Manor.  It also states that the 55th District Rep, Kathy Angerer,
          > will cover a few bases and a few constituent issues until the

          election, but she cannot vote for Monroe County.

          > Glenn
          Podhola

          href="mailto:glenn.podhola@...">glenn.podhola@...

          586-276-1145