Re: [mifairtax] Camp and Foley say nice things at Ways and means Hearing on July 28th

  • Kent Hamel
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello from the UP of Michigan,  I agree that the Tax Code should be updated and improved for both the average tax payer and Uncle Sam.  My concern is that the Itemized  Tax Deductions  gives too many people the advantage of making little if any  contributions and getting credit for the legal limit which last year was more than a $10000 amount.  If they want to use the Standard Deduction, then limit it to only the actual amount they give.  Now, if they give only $10 to The Salvation Army, for example, they can get credit for $10000 or whatever the legal limit is.  For all my married life we filed our tax return using the Itemized  method and our actual amount of giving was usually well over the Itemized amount.  I dont believe that this is fair to either the tax payer or Uncle Sam.  Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.  Thanks.  Kent Hamel