Clinton-Macomb Tax Meeting with State Rep

  • Darrick Scott-Farnsworth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 9:19 AM
      Dear Friend:

      I am pleased to announce that Representative Kim Meltzer and I are hosting a town hall meeting on Monday, April 14, 2008 at the Clinton-Macomb Public Library auditorium, and we would like to invite you to attend. The purpose of this town hall meeting is to discuss how the new Michigan Business Tax (MBT) and the MBT Surcharge Tax is impacting local businesses.

      The MBT replaced the Single Business Tax last year and is taking effect for the first time this April.  In addition to the base tax, some businesses have also been saddled with a 22 percent business surcharge.  Some businesses have reported that their tax burdens have increased between 100 and 700 percent with the new MBT and MBT Surcharge.

      We need these small businesses to anchor our communities.  The loss to Michigan businesses is affecting not just our unemployment rate, but the quality of our schools, the number of people in our communities and the number of opportunities for our children.  We need to be looking at ways to secure jobs in Michigan.  The fastest way to success is returning Michigan to a competitive tax structure.

      Please see the attached invitation to the town hall meeting and feel free to print the flyer to hang in your place of business.  If you have any questions or concerns regarding the town hall meeting or the MBT, please feel free to contact my office at (517) 373-8931.

      I hope to see you on April 14th.

      Sincerely,

      Daniel J. Acciavatti
      State Representative
      32nd District
      legislative e-newsletter, send a request to:
      danielacciavatti@...