Re: New state business tax deserves skepticism, not celebration

  • trav
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Thanks, Eric, for the Detroit News editorial link (below).

      The point is: Any increased tax on any business sector is hidden tax increase in taxes for consumers.  What's more, in the case of increased taxes for banking and insurance, the business consumers of these services (read: ALL businesses), act to transfer these taxes in the costs of ALL products and services.  Thus, the politicians / lobbyists / special interests are grabbing more of your income - and you can't even quantify it.

      Businesses are better organized than Joe or Joanna Sixpack.  We're told they now can "plan" for these new taxes.  They're now forced to choose:  increase our prices/fees? (hidden tax to YOU), hold the line on costs? (profits go to Lansing: shareholders, employee 401k's, pension plans - that benefit YOU - lose money), or move out of Michigan (YOU lose YOUR job, or YOUR wages are negotiated downward under threat of bankruptcy, business closing - and that process is well underway).

      There are no "caps" on the so-called MBT plan just passed.  Therefore, they'll exceed revenue neutrality and not be forced to cut spending.  All the while, continuing to play this game to keep us IGNORANT of the true costs of their antics.

      It is up to each one of us to advance passage of House Joint Resolution "L" introduced on May 3rd - which paves the way for the Michigan FairTax.

      Please check out (and point others to) this video:

      Find your state representative here:

      Check to see if your State Rep has co-sponsored Joint House Resolution "L" here:

      If your State Rep has NOT, write him / her today!  It's YOUR VOICE that will make a difference.  The only requirement?  To ACT.

      In order to be forwarded to the MI Senate, the House Joint Resolution must be passed by a 2/3'rds vote.  Short of public pressure to co-sponsor the legislation, we'll be forced to circulate a state-wide petition so that we, the people, may vote for the Michigan FairTax.

      -trav

      "Eric R." <senoreric@...> wrote:
      New state business tax deserves skepticism, not celebration
      http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070701/OPINION03/707010305

      You have been sent the following article from Eric R. as a courtesy of detnews.com.

      Comments:
      Great editorial. I think I'll send Mr. Lopez one of our brochures by e-mail and hope that their computer does not strip the attachment.