Louver making tools

  • Eula Cornish
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010
      Hey Car Buddies,

      Can anyone help out David Armstrong.

      Hi Harold and Eula,
      Would you mind posting this for me or letting me know how to post it myself.

      Hi Kustom Car Buddies,
      Please, someone rescue me from my cheap-ass, futile, louver-tool making.  Has anyone got a 2" louver press die or a bead roller die, that they can lend me, rent to me, or sell me.  I've spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to make a jig and hand-forming tools to make a louver of 2 inch length,  half inch depth, quarter inch height, and a cut-to-cut spacing of three-quarters inch, or one inch.  I've done enough of them to know that my tool doesn't make them look very pretty.  I need a 20 inch throat if its a bead roller.  Williams Low-Buck Tools (now that's talking to me)  has one with a 18 inch throat for $275.00, and a louver mandrel with a fifteen-sixteens inch inside bore and two and a quarter inch outside, for another $109.  For this mandrel the shafts on the machine have to be two inches on center.  Plus shipping from California so we're up to $400, hence my own tool making efforts.  I think a louver press may be the way to go as Williams says it takes a bit of practice to get a good louver even with a bead roller.  I need to do 2 x 37 = 74 louvers.  Can any of you guys help me on this?  I'll be at the Winter Meeting on 3/20/10 in K'zoo, or please e-mail directly.
      David Armstrong