Movie Theme: Ice Castles seq GaryW0001

  • Wild West
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
      Do you remember the movie?  It was great!

      If you love movie themes and collect them, check this out:

      http://www.elite.net/~gurpal/movie1.htm

      http://moviethemes.net/index.html

      If you care for a really good piano bar version:

      http://www.piano-bar.com/pages/castles.htm

      Ice Castles is a 1978 American romantic drama, starring Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson.

      It is the story of Alexis, a young figure skater, and her rise and fall from super stardom. Tragedy strikes when, following a freak accident, Lexie loses her sight, leaving her to hide away in the privacy of her own despair. She eventually perseveres and begins competing in figure skating again.

      The work was filmed on location in Colorado and Minnesota. It made famous Melissa Manchester's hit song, "Through the Eyes of Love."

      Through the eyes of love

      Please don't let this feeling end
      It's everything I am
      everything I want to be.
      I can see what's mine now,
      finding out what's true since
      I found you
      looking through the eyes of love.

      And now, I can take the time
      I can see my life
      As it comes up shining now
      Reaching out to touch you
      I can feel so much
      Since I found you
      looking through the eyes of love.

      And now I do believe
      that even in the storm
      we'll find some light
      Knowing you're beside me
      I'm all right.

      Please don't let this feeling end
      It might not come again
      and I want to remember
      How it feels to touch you
      how I feel so much

      --
      Best regards,
      Dan West

             Wild West's Music Studio
      ===============================================|

      http://mysite.verizon.net/wild_west2/studio.htm

      ===============================================|

    • Gary Wachtel
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Folks,

        Since Dan has seen fit to post my old (and not very good) version of the theme from "Ice Castles," I felt obliged to share an updated version I recently sequenced, which has not been released to the general public, but which I am happy to share, exclusively, with the members of this group.

        All I ask is that you please not repost this sequence elsewhere, at least until it has been "freely distributed" to the general public.

        Thanks for listening!

        Gary W.
        GaryW0001's Official MIDI Home Page

        P.S. - This is my first time posting a file to the group, so I hope I got the attachment thing right. ;)

      • Wild West
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
          Thanks Gary!  When I was screening your original file, it didn't have the quality I have come to expect from you.  This version is as I only state when the file is simply outstanding...............MOST EXCELLENT!!!!
          --
          Best regards,
          Dan West

                 Wild West's Music Studio
          ===============================================|

          http://mysite.verizon.net/wild_west2/studio.htm

          ===============================================|

        • Jack Snead
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
            Hi Gary,
            From your old friend from way back!
            Have you ever released your full version of "Avalon" to the general
            public?
            I didn't get it back in the old days!
            Jack

            Gary Wachtel wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > On Mar 1, 2008, at 7:34 PM, Wild West wrote:
            >
            > > Do you remember the movie? It was great!
            > >
            > > If you love movie themes and collect them, check this out:
            > >
            > > http://www.elite.net/~gurpal/movie1.htm
            > >
            > > http://moviethemes.net/index.html
            > >
            > > If you care for a really good piano bar version:
            > >
            > > http://www.piano-bar.com/pages/castles.htm
            > >
            > > <IceCastles1978.jpg>Ice Castles is a 1978 American romantic drama,
            > > starring Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson.
            > >
            > > It is the story of Alexis, a young figure skater, and her rise and
            > > fall from super stardom. Tragedy strikes when, following a freak
            > > accident, Lexie loses her sight, leaving her to hide away in the
            > > privacy of her own despair. She eventually perseveres and begins
            > > competing in figure skating again.
            > >
            > > The work was filmed on location in Colorado and Minnesota. It made
            > > famous Melissa Manchester's hit song, "Through the Eyes of Love."

            Join The MIDICHAT Group Below:
            Join The MID-KARAOKE Group Below:
            "Be Careful Out There!"
          • Gary Wachtel
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
              Hi Dan,

              The version you posted was amongst those I created during the first year, or so, that I started generating MIDI sequences, way back in 1995.

              It was so chock full of clinkers, that I removed it from the MIDI Libraries of my site, along with a few others that just weren't listenable, in my opinion.

              While going through some piles of old charts, I can across that one, and decided it was time to do an updated version, replacing the trumpet lead with vibes, and thereby making it more suitable for vocalist use.

              I plan on re-sequencing a lot of my older files, in the future, in order to bring them up to my current quality standards.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                Hi Jack,

                My MIDI version of "Avalon" has, indeed, been "freely distributed" to the general public.

                Attached is a copy, for your convenience.

                Enjoy!

                Gary W.
                GaryW0001's Official MIDI Home Page

                AUTHOR:    GaryW0001@...
                EQUIPMENT: MIDI Interface & Multitimbral Synth, or MIDI-Compatible Sound Card
                NEEDS:     MIDI Sequencer Software or .MID File Player

                Type:      Freely Distributed

                Total Instruments:  15 + Drums
                Sequenced For:     General MIDI
                Playing Time:      4:25

                This is a sequence based on a Big Band arrangement of the Standard song, "Avalon."  Music & Lyrics by Al Jolson and Vincent Rose.  Original arrangement by Dave Wolpe.  All parts were individually scored for Jazz Ensemble using Freestyle & Performer Sequencing Software, and a Korg X5DR Synthesizer.  This file is in Standard MIDI (Type 1) format.

                If you haven't already done so, please visit my Official MIDI Home Page @ http://www.garyw0001/index.html for a complete library of all my MIDI sequences, information about their creation, and more!

                Note:  This sequence can be used with non-GM synths by loading it into a sequencer and re-assigning the Program Change and MIDI Channel data to meet the requirements of your equipment.

              • Wild West
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                  P.S. - This is my first time posting a file to the group, so I hope I got the attachment thing right. ;)

                  You did it right!  Since I do not have a updated collection of your files (1996-2000), please feel free, (and we would love it) to post your work in Midkar!

                  --
                  Best regards,
                  Dan West

                         Wild West's Music Studio
                  ===============================================|

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                    Fair enough, Dan.

                    I will begin posting my "freely distributed" files to the group this week.

                    The format will be similar to the way I post them to the alt.binaries.sounds.midi newsgroup, if that's OK.

                    Of course, I'll limit them to no more than 5 per/day.

                    On Mar 1, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Wild West wrote:

                    P.S. - This is my first time posting a file to the group, so I hope I got the attachment thing right. ;)

                    You did it right!  Since I do not have a updated collection of your files (1996-2000), please feel free, (and we would love it) to post your work in Midkar!

                    --
                    Best regards,
                    Dan West

                           Wild West's Music Studio
                    ===============================================|

                    http://mysite.verizon.net/wild_west2/studio.htm

                    ===============================================|

                  • Cat >^..^< Jefferson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                      Gary,
                      I think I love you! <grin>
                      Cat
                      >^..^<
                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                        Hi Gary,
                        You got everything right. You always do. Thanks for posting this excellent update.
                        I've filed it under "No Posts" until it's g.p. release.
                        Bob

                        Gary Wachtel wrote:
[...]

                        <IceCastles1978.jpg>Ice Castles is a 1978 American romantic drama, starring Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson.

[...]

                        Jukebox Saturday Night, http://www.damav.com
                        Real Estate Site
                        http://robertsilvestri.point2homes.biz/
                        See the Issues
                        http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

                        Special Event
                        http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/4rqhq

                      • Jack Snead
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                          Gary,
                          Thanks for Avalon!
                          I had a Chet Atkins Instrumental Guitar Version and an old
                          Al Jolson (Parlor Song) version.
                          It's amazing how many artists have recorded it and how many styles it
                          was recorded in over the years!
                          Thanks again,
                          Jack