Jimi Hendrix: "Purple Haze" seq LowCPM ( c :

  • Wild West
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007

      "Purple Haze" is a song recorded in 1967 by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, released as a single in both the United Kingdom and the United States. It also appeared on the US release of their 1967 album Are You Experienced?.

      Purple Haze is often cited as one of Jimi Hendrix's greatest songs, and first international hit. For many, it is his signature work. Purple Haze became Hendrix' second single after his manager Chas Chandler heard him playing the riff backstage and quickly arranged for him to record and release the song.

      The single peaked at number three in the UK but only number 65 in the US, where it was released in June 1967, a month after "Are You Experienced?" and three months after the UK single. In March 2005, Q magazine ranked "Purple Haze" at number one in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. The Rolling Stone magazine placed the song at No. 17 in their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".

      The song is believed to refer to Hendrix's experiences with a similarly-named batch of LSD produced in 1966 by Owsley Stanley. (In a 1967 BBC session, Hendrix recorded a cover version of the Beatles' "Day Tripper" in which he shouts, "Oh, Owsley, can you hear me now?" during the climactic guitar solo.) Others believed that the song's name was derived from a strain of marijuana, called "purple haze." However, in interviews Hendrix would disclaim any association with recreational drug use, asserting that the song was drawn from a dream he had where he was walking under the ocean, surrounded by a purple haze. At another point, Hendrix said he took the phrase "purple haze" from Night of Light, a science fiction novel written by Philip José Farmer that he was reading at the time. (However, the phrase appearing in Farmer's book is "purplish haze".) Hendrix claimed that the song was about love, explaining that the line "whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me" was the key to the meaning of lyrics.

      The song is distinctive for the flattened fifth interval which appears in the intro. The guitar plays Bb octaves while the bass plays E octaves. Such dissonance was unusual in popular music of the time. Dubbed guitar track played through octavia, a gadget that transfers notes one octave higher, can be heard during the outro.

      (The song's lyric "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" has been widely misheard as "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy." However, in some live performances, as a joke, Hendrix clearly and unmistakably sang "Scuse me, while I kiss that guy." One of these appears on the album "Voodoo Child : The Jimi Hendrix Collection [Disc 2].")

      "Purple Haze" has been covered by a variety of other artists, from Ozzy Osbourne to the Kronos Quartet to Québécoise artist Carole Laure, and has also been featured in many films, television shows, and commercials. Some of the more notable and/or unusual appropriations of the song over the years include:

      • A Pepsi TV commercial (first broadcast during the 2004 Super Bowl) in which the young Jimi Hendrix is shown purchasing a soda from a Pepsi vending machine. As he opens the bottle, his eye is drawn to an electric guitar in a nearby pawn shop, and the famous opening riff of the song begins to play. He then glances at a Coca-Cola machine located across the street in front of an accordion store, and the opening riff is played again, this time on an accordion. The commercial subsequently cuts to the caption: "Whew! That was close!"
      • The episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy focusing on cells featured a parody of this song (with an accompanying music video) called "Cellular Haze."
      • East Carolina University football games, where the song is traditionally broadcast over the stadium speakers as the team enters the field.
      • In the song Dimension by Wolfmother, they make an allusion to Jimi Hendrix, singing "Purple Haze is in the sky, see the angels where they lie"
      • The British comedian Bill Bailey once played a version of the song on his show Is It Bill Bailey? in which he mumbled all the lyrics except "sky", claiming that just because he doesn't know the words it does not mean he cannot rock out.
      • Comedian Bill Cosby sang alternate lyrics to "Purple Haze" as "Hooray for the Salvation Army Band!" on his 1968 album of the same name.
      Trivia
      • According to Jimi Hendrix, the song's colorful imagery came to him in a dream. "I dream a lot and I put a lot of my dreams down as songs" in a 1969 interview.
      • The lyric "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" can be seen painted on the wall inside one of the girls' restrooms at Hendrix's alma mater Garfield High School in Seattle, Washington. The school also sells T-shirts printed with the words "purple haze".
      • The song was originally slated to be titled "Purple Haze, Jesus Saves". It was later renamed after the Experience made its first studio recording of the track.
      • Also, the Simpsons have referred to the song another time, with one show being titled 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky in Season 14. The title refers to Lisa's new found interest in being an astronomer.
      • In March 2005, Q magazine placed "Purple Haze" at number one in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. The Rolling Stone magazine placed the song at No. 17 in their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
      • In one episode of the show; "My Wife and Kids", star and comedian, Damon Wayans, played the riff and solo of this song on a stratocaster, and eventually, burned, licked, and did other guitar tricks that Jimi Hendrix performed, all in order to prove to his son, on "how to play like Jimi"
      • Purple Haze is a popular brand of dutch cannabis.
      • Purple Haze is a popular bar in Bangalore, India.
      • In the Method Man song "How High" he sings, "Scuse me as I kiss the sky".
      • During the memorable "$240 worth of pudding" sketch on an episode of The State on MTV, Tom Lennon says "now if you will excuse me while I kiss the sky," before rubbing his buttocks on the pile of pudding.

      Jimi Hendrix: "Purple Haze"

      {cough? }
      Purple haze all in my brain
      Lately things just dont seem the same
      Actin funny, but I dont know why
      scuse me while I kiss the sky
      Purple haze all around
      Dont know if Im comin up or down
      Am I happy or in misery?
      What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me
      Help me
      Help me
      Oh, no, no
      [faint, spoken lyrics...all questionable]
      Hammerin
      Talkin bout heart n...s-soul
      Im talkin about hard stuff
      If everbodys still around, fluff and ease, if
      So far out my mind
      Somethings happening, somethings happening
      Ooo, ahhh
      Ooo, {click} ahhh,
      Ooo, ahhh
      Ooo, ahhh, yeah!
      Purple haze all in my eyes, uhh
      Dont know if its day or night
      You got me blowin, blowin my mind
      Is it tomorrow, or just the end of time?
      Ooo
      Help me
      Ahh, yea-yeah, purple haze, yeah
      Oh, no, oh
      Oh, help me
      Purple haze, tell me, baby, tell me
      I cant go on like this
      Purple haze
      Youre makin me blow my mind...mama
      Purple haze, n-no, nooo
      Purple haze, no, its painful, baby

      --
      Best regards,
      Dan West

      "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
      Ed Biggs

          Wild West's Music Studio

      http://mysite.verizon.net/wild_west2/studio.htm