Beatles: "Don't Pass Me By" seq Path B Guy

  • Wild West Productions 2007
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007

      "Don't Pass Me By" is a song by The Beatles from the double-disc album The Beatles (also known as the White Album). It was Ringo Starr's first solo composition and he sang lead. It became a number one hit in Sweden.

      Its earliest mention seems to be in a BBC chatter session introducing "And I Love Her" on the Top Gear program in 1964. In the conversation, Starr is asked if he wrote a song and Paul McCartney proceeded to mock it soon after, but the song is unmistakably "Don't Pass Me By" with very slightly different lyrics. The song has a very predictable 3-chord blues structure, apparently leading McCartney to mock it.

      The song was recorded in three separate sessions in 1968: June 5 and 6, and July 12. Despite the references to the song in 1964 as "Don't Pass Me By", it was called "Ringo's Tune (Untitled)" on the June 5 session tape label and "This Is Some Friendly" on the June 6 label. By July 12, the title was restored.

      During a lead vocal track recorded on June 6th, Starr audibly counted out 8 bars, and it can be heard in the released song starting at 2:30 of the 1987 CD version.

      The song was said to have originally opened with an orchestral interlude arranged by George Martin, which was later used as a cue for The Beatles animated film Yellow Submarine.  In 1996, this piece of music was released as the track "A Beginning" on The Beatles Anthology 3 CD.

      The line "I'm sorry that I doubted you I was so unfair, You were in car crash and you lost your hair" is cited by proponents of the Paul is Dead urban legend as a clue to Paul's fate; the line "you lost your hair" is claimed to be a reference to "When I'm Sixty-Four", which was written by Paul McCartney.

      If the song is played backwards, you can hear, slightly garbled, the phrase "Who'd we pay for now. We paid for now. It's that one." in the chorus. This also plays into the Paul is Dead hoax.

      --
      Best regards,
      Dan West

      "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
      Ed Biggs

          Wild West's Hotel Music Studio

      http://home.att.net/~wild-west/studio.htm
             WILD WEST'S MUSIC HOTEL