"A Time For Us"

  • Michael MacDonald
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 24 3:17 PM
      In 1968, my 9th grade English class got a rare outing to see the then new
      film, Romeo and Juliet which features this pretty song as it's theme. I've
      always struggled playing 3/4 songs -- the beat count just doesn't feel
      natural but this was an song worth the effort. This is a reasonably
      straight-forward rendition of the song with strings multi-recorded in after
      the fact. I hope you enjoy.

      Mike
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 24 4:28 PM
        Michael, can't open a Cakewalk SONAR Audio Project (Cakewalk). Can you suggest a program which will play a cwp file?
        Thanks

        Michael MacDonald wrote:
        In 1968, my 9th grade English class got a rare outing to see the then new
        film, Romeo and Juliet which features this pretty song as it's theme. I've
        always struggled playing 3/4 songs -- the beat count just doesn't feel
        natural but this was an song worth the effort. This is a reasonably
        straight-forward rendition of the song with strings multi-recorded in after
        the fact. I hope you enjoy.

        Mike

        It's All About The Music!  Please do not post pro files.

        --
        Robert A. Silvestri
        Member NAR, NWAR

        Music Relief Association
        http://free-the-midi.com/main.htm

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 24 4:58 PM
          Whoops Mike!
          Ya forgot to convert it to MIDI. You left it in .cwp format.
          How come you didn't use sustain on the piano? Would make a huge
          difference in the sound.
          Cat >^..^<

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Michael MacDonald
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25 8:14 AM

            >Whoops Mike!
            >Ya forgot to convert it to MIDI . You left it in .cwp format.

            Duh…okay, here is the MID version.

            >How come you didn't use sustain on the piano? Would make a huge
            difference in the sound.

            Agreed. Here is version 1.1 – complete with hand-added pedal events…

            FWIW, depending on how I record something, the sustain is problematic. In this case, I really only wanted the sustain on left hand notes. In real life, I probably would have pumped the pedal so that the right-hand notes didn't last too long. And that all tells me that I probably had a non-decaying instrument assigned to the left hand notes at the time it was recorded (when I record from the keyboard right into Cakewalk, I lose the patch assignments and have to add them manually later).

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 25 8:19 AM

              My apologies…dragged the wrong file in and have already sent in the correct file.

              Thanks

              Mike

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25 8:35 AM

                A wonderful Burt Bacharach and Hal David song, I don't think I ever "released" this. I recorded 99 different versions last summer and wasn't happy with any of them. This was the closest … outside of the little adlibs in there, this sounds like it's a rip-off of an Andy Williams performance as opposed to an original arrangement.

                Mike

              • oneqtcat@juno.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25 3:03 PM
                  (when I record from the keyboard right into Cakewalk, I lose the patch
                  assignments and have to add them manually later).
                  ***************

                  heh heh, Time to switch to Vdop. It sure is easier than Cakewalk and as
                  far as I can see, just as powerful.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 25 4:13 PM

                     (when I record from the keyboard right into Cakewalk, I lose the patch
                    assignments and have to add them manually later).

                    heh heh, Time to switch to Vdop.  It sure is easier than Cakewalk and as
                    far as I can see, just as powerful.

                    I used VDOP for years and would have the same problem in it. If I ask it to record a track, it does just that. The notes and controllers are sent but the patch assignments are not. I think if you get into CW, the power becomes apparent. VDOP has nothing like the CW Interpolation for instance. Quantizing in VDOP is a one-size-fits-all affair. In CW, I can do groove quantizing, swing quantizing, I can define windows by beat, by ticks (or whatever) and define percentage of quanitizing to do within those windows. That's helpful to prevent notes from moving forward or back as you wish and to allow you to maintain the overall slop of your play if you wish. Here's a cool thing in CW SONAR 3+: play and record a two-measure bass-line in the key of C. Loop that through the whole song. Tell Cakewalk how to tell what the bass chord of each measure should be (not totally different than BIAB) and CW will adjust the bass to follow the chords of the song. An awesome function. I'm not knocking VDOP…I pay a fortune for this functionality.

                  • Michael MacDonald
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 25 5:17 PM

                      This is a slight-dress up of something I did 11 (!) years ago. This is the overture to the great rock opera, Tommy.