Re: [midkar] Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind - The Five Keys (Seq. Gary Rogers)

  • okieduke
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2012
      Great Ivory Joe Hunter tune...I actually forgot about.  Nice, Gary.

      Okie

      On 3/6/2012 12:04 PM, Gary Rogers wrote:

      I did this request for one of our many Bobs. I think it might have been Bob Raymond.
      Anyway, I thought others might like it so I am posting it here.

      Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
      Words and Music by:
      Ivory Joe Hunter and
      Clyde Otis
      Recorded by:
      The Five Keys (1956)

      There isn’t much information available for this song. It reached #23 on the U.S. charts and #12 on the R&B charts.

      The Five Keys is an American rhythm and blues vocal group that was instrumental in shaping this genre in the 1950s.

      It was formed with the original name of Sentimental Four in Newport News, Virginia, U.S., in the late 1940s, and initially consisted of two sets of

      brothers - Rudy West (born 25 July 1932, Newport News, Virginia) and Bernie West (born 4 February 1930, Newport News), and Ripley Ingram

      (born 1930 - died 23 March 1995, Newport News) and Raphael Ingram. Ingram left in 1949 and Maryland Pierce (born 1933) and Dickie Smith

      became members in his place. At this juncture the name of the group was changed to The Five Keys.

      They were signed to Aladdin Records in 1951, and in 1952 Rudy West left to join the United States Army, and he was replaced by Ulysses K. Hicks.

      In 1954 Dickie Smith left and was replaced with Ramon Loper. At this point the Five Keys was signed to Capitol Records, and their popularity increased,

      although more instrumentation was used.

      The group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2002.

      Charting singles

      • The Glory of Love (1951) U.S. R&B #1
      • "Close Your Eyes (1955) U.S. R&B #5
      • "Ling, Ting, Tong" (1955) U.S. R&B #5
      • "The Verdict" (1955) U.S. R&B #13
      • "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" (1956) U.S. #23, U.S. R&B #12
      • "Let There Be You" (1957) U.S. #69
      • "Wisdom of a Fool" (1957) U.S. #35