Re: [midkar] Doobie Bros: "China Grove" seq Chris Rada

  • sngnsgt@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      ---- Wild West Productions 2005 <wild-west@...> wrote:

      > You gotta love the doobie's!!!
      >
      > --
      > Best regards,
      > Dan West
      >
      > "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
      > Ed Biggs

      > WILD WEST'S MUSIC HOTEL
      > ========================================|
      > http://wild-west.cjb.net
      > http://musichotel.cjb.net
      > http://home.att.net/~wild-west/index.htm
      > http://listen.to/Wild-West-Music-Hotel
      > ========================================|

      Dan,

      Great midi of China Grove. How do I download it?

      Dave Wadsworth

    • Wild West Productions 2005
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi Dave,

        Didn't we solve this problem for you a while back?  If you can play the file attached to the message post, then you can also download it.  I use Netscape mail and I just "right click" and pick "Save As" from a drop down menu.  What mail software are you using?
        --
        Best regards,
        Dan West

        "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
        Ed Biggs

               WILD WEST'S MUSIC HOTEL
        ========================================|
        http://wild-west.cjb.net
        http://musichotel.cjb.net
        http://home.att.net/~wild-west/index.htm
        http://listen.to/Wild-West-Music-Hotel
        ========================================|

      • Wild West Productions 2006
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
          Most Excellent!!!!!!

          Taken from http://doobfan.com

          Welcome to the Doobie Brothers History
          (according to me!)

          Here's where it all began for me...Summer, 1973...going to see a band named The Doobie Brothers...

          I bought 4 tickets.  I took a neighbor gal and two of her friends came along.  I was sufficiently prepared for the night.  In the right frame of mind we went to the Celebrity Theatre, a small place "in the round" where the circular stage was no more than about 75 feet from the furthest seats.  I had seats around the 8th row.  I always tried to get those seats because they put you at about chest high with the band.  A band named "Skylark" opened.  They had a song out with the words "Let her cry, for she's a lady"...  Thank you very much, now get off the stage.

          This is where it gets good...

          Well, this band has two drummers.  Cool.  I wonder how that sounds?  Let's see...Fender twin reverbs...miked to the house system...that's OK, the house system is really good...three mikes...good...is that an Ampeg bass amp?...oh well, can't remember...

          OK, bring 'em on.

          The house lights go down and the crowd is welcoming them with enthusiastic applause.  Flashlights are seen piercing the smoke as well as the red light's on the amps.  "Test".  Just the right amount of LOUD.  Good.  A couple of chord blasts to test the guitar volume.  Some snaps on the snare and tom-toms.  This is just right, Goldilocks.  Then...wham!

          Oh...my...Gawwwwd.  "Listen To The Music" starts.  Two drummers kick in.  Power deluxe.  The lights are up and there they are.  I cannot tell you just how absolutely perfect this was.  The sound was impeccable.  The vocals were right on.  The stage presence was commanding.  This...was...IT.  "Who are these guys, anyway?"

          First, there was this drummer (John Hartman).  He's wearing a red Santa Clause hat and has glitter in his hair.  Hmmm.  The other drummer (Michael Hossack) has no need for glitter.  That hair.  Huge...and red...  This bassist (Tiran Porter) was better that any other I had heard.  On album or live, I hadn't heard anyone snap out bass notes like that.  He was the first I had seen using a pick.  And wonderful bass lines.  Quite melodic.  Why is he always smiling?  Oh yeah, he's in this band, playing this music.  Duh.  The guitarist to my left (Pat Simmons).  Long hair.  Really long.  Pulled back.  Cool.  Bell-bottoms, platform shoes, a nice peasant shirt.  This guy is good.  Hmmm.  He's using a thumb pick.  Finger picks.  A red Gibson ES335.  He's good.  Really good.  Jeez, they are still cranking.  The guitarist to my right (Tommy Johnston).  Man.  He quickly became my favorite.  Hair past his shoulders and wavy.  Bell-bottoms, platform  shoes ("Is that a pair of snakeskin shoes?"), and a cool shirt.  This guy can ROCK.  He was playing a red Gibson SG with an upside-down U. S. flag.  Very cool, I thought.  Whenever they came to a break in the vocals, the three guitarists would pop back from the mikes in unison.  There is no end to how good this show is.  The Celebrity Theatre's stage would rotate.  You can see the band from every angle.  At one point, during "Clear As The Driven Snow", Tommy loses his guitar to a broken string.  The guitar tech is bringing up a Gibson Les Paul gold top.  First, he has to tune it.  He's crouched behind the drummers and frantically using a stringer to spin on some new strings.  Why now, I have no idea.  Tommy is standing back by the amps and Pat is doing his finger-picking middle part of the song.  He looks to his left and notices Tommy sans guitar, looks back at the tech and then the crowd.  Well, Pat starts his head bobbing, like he does, and keeps going.  This is a long time, people, and the crowd is going ballistic.  Wonderful.  The tech now hands Tommy the Les Paul and the sleigh bells start.  Bam!  That Les Paul backed us up!  Amazing.  "Who are these guys?"

          The crowd took a thorough pounding that we all delighted in.  It kept coming.  Of course we are all familiar with their music now, but back then it was new and intense.

          So here is my history of The Doobie Brothers...

          What's in a name?

          Long ago (1969) and far, far away (San Jose, California) the seeds for the Doobies were planted.  It all started with a power trio of John Hartman, Tommy Johnston, and Dave Shogren.  They would play and play.  Along came Pat Simmons and the Doobies were born.  The problem was that they weren't the Doobies yet.  They were known as, well, Pud.  Pud was a San Francisco area band and would play any gig.  As they were honing their musical skills, a demo tape was sent to Warner Brothers in hopes that it wouldn't be lost in the piles of demos that any number of studios would get.  As luck would have it, the tape was played and the execs at Warner Brothers liked what they heard .

          Well, the band was brought in and they signed a record company contract.  Cool.  This is what every band wants.  A contract with an established record company with lots of marketing power and all the trimmings.  That's what Pud got.  And the cherry on top, in my opinion, was having Ted Templeman as their producer.  But.  Yes, there was a but.  The name had to go.  So now the band had to come up with a new name.  They were looking everywhere.  Then one day, according to an article I read, they were passing a, um, doob around at the kitchen table and a friend said "We're all brothers", and another said "Yeah, we're doobie brothers" and there you have it.
          The Doobie Brothers.

          The Doobies sign with Warner Brothers

          Well, here we go, the Doobies first album.  A self-titled LP record with almost every song written by the band themselves.  Hopes were high that the album would do well, sell billions of copies, and they'd be on their way.  I remember driving along one night and a song comes on the radio. My friend freaks and turns it up.  He told me he loved this song.  I hadn't heard it before but it was good, had a nice beat and I could dance to it.  I gave it an 8. The song was "Nobody", the first track on this album.  This was a couple years before I saw the Celebrity show and didn't know who the Doobies were.  As for sales, the album hit around ten thousand.  In the words of Tommy Johnston, "It went cardboard."  OK, so no gold or platinum, but things were about to change.  The band had the talent and desire.  It was just a matter of time.

          Let's take a moment to do some Doobie math.  C'mon now, it's only addition and subtraction.

          What does this equal?

          3+1-1+2-1+1+1-1+1+1-1-1+1+1+1

          If you answered The Doobie Brothers you'd be correct.  What?  From here on out, the band has many changes in members along the way.  I'm not sure I know of another band that had that many changes and still put out consistantly good material, even catching a few Grammy's along the way, but the Doobies did.  And they did it without missing a beat.

          Toulouse Street.  The Doobies second album.  This is the album that put the band on the charts.  With songs like "Listen To The Music", "Rockin' Down The Highway", and "Jesus Is Just Alright" getting big-time airplay, the Doobies were now known everywhere.  Michael Hossack joined the band and now there were two drummers.  Dave Shogren left and friend Tiran Porter was asked to take over the bass duties and the core of the Doobie look and sound was now present.  Personally, I think there are other notable gems on this album.  "Toulouse Street", "White Sun", and "Disciple" are favorites in my book also.  The mixture of Pat's folk background and Tommy's blues/funk style shows up well.   There is a huge jump in skill and production from the first album to this one.  It is only a matter of time 'til the band is headlining their concerts. Toulouse Street went platinum in 1986.

          This is my favorite album.  The Captain And Me is a powerful piece of work.  More radio hits for the band like "China Grove", "Long Train Runnin'", "South City Midnight Lady", and "Dark Eyed Cajun Woman".  However, there are three songs that are my favorites from this album.  "Without You", "Clear As The Driven Snow", and "Evil Woman".  If you turn them up just right, they'll rip your ears off.  This album went multi-platinum in 1986.  Remember, too, that this is the album they were promoting when I first saw them.  I don't think that's why this is my favorite, though.  I just love this album.  Plain and simple.  The Doobies are now headliners and rightly so.  They were talented, professional and could blow the walls out of anywhere they were booked.  The Captain And Me has a different feel than Toulouse Street.  I would find every album has it's own feel.

          "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits".  Geez, that's the truth, yes?  This fourth album is full of good stuff.  The Doobies first #1 hit "Black Water" is here.  Oddly, it didn't become #1 until a year after the album was released.  It was this tour that I saw that Keith Knudsen replaced Mike Hossack on drums.  "Road Angel", "Down In The Track", and "Another Park, Another Sunday" are my picks from Vices.  The other songs are a nice blend of rock, folk, and a mixture of the two.  The rock tunes are edgier, sound wise.  I'm not a music critic so I won't go into drawn out monologues on how a song was influenced by Caribbean rhythms or some such drivel.  To me, this album is a nice blend of music styles and again, has it's own feel and the signature Doobie sound.  One party favor was the inclusion of a poster (below).  They are rare but can still be found.  Try an auction site.  "Vices" went double platinum in 2001.

          This poster, included with the Vices album, is about 12" by 24".  It was folded across the center and slipped into the album's cover.  A friend of a friend gave me the album some years back and the first thing I did was check for the poster.  Goody, it was there.  It is now nicely framed and hanging in my place.  The center photo was taken of the band, the crew and friends.  Oh yeah, they're standing in front of the DoobieLiner.  There was also a CrewbieLiner for the road crew.  Unfortunately, the DoobieLiner met a fiery demise long ago and the body of the plane ended up as part of a bar and grill in northern California.  I was stunned to find out that my sister-in-law snapped the center photo.  Really.  She was a friend of photographer Danny Fong and he set up the camera, went over to be in the picture and she took the pic.  If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'.  For the longest time I'm a big Doobie fan and my sis-in-law is a good friend of Keith Knudsen.  I had no idea until '97.  Hmmmm.  For a larger image, click the poster.

          This is the fifth Doobie Brothers album:  "Stampede".  Jeff "Skunk" Baxter becomes a full-fledged Doobie.  Stampede has a more laid back, country-like feel.  There are some rockers though in "Sweet Maxine" and "Take Me In Your Arms".   "Slat Key Soquel Rag" is a little acoustic song by Pat Simmons that was a mainstay in their live concerts for years and years.  Very nice.  Tommy's "I Been Workin' On You" is a favorite of mine as well as Pat's upbeat "Neal's Fandango".  I even heard it on the radio once.  Only once but at least it hit the airwaves.  This may be the least known Doobie album but it's good.  I'm biased, you know.  I was surprised to see actual footage of the album cover.  It was part of a Doobie video history titled "Listen To The Music."  I think this video tape is out of print but, again, you may find it at an online aution site.

          This is the time when things change for the band in a big way.  The constant touring and parties and sleepless nights (those trappings of a touring band) took their toll on guitarist Tommy Johnston.  He was behind many of the hits for the band as well as the most recognizable vocalist.  Unfotunately Tommy had to leave during the '75 Stampede tour.  The members of the band and their manager knew Tommy had to rest.  What they didn't know was that he was very, very ill.  Ulcers had robbed Tommy of most of his blood and if not for emergency surgery, Tommy wouldn't be with us today.  Thank goodness for those doc's.  As a side note, this actually has some humor.  While I was in college a friend and I were talking and he informed me Tommy had tuberculosis.  Wow, that's serious.  Well, no he didn't but the title of his first solo album was "Everything You've Heard Is True".  I thought that was pretty funny and appropriate since rumor was all we had regarding what happened to Tommy.  I actually saw "The Tom Johnston Band" open for Kenny Loggins at Arizona State.  During the day of the show I was at a small eatery across the street from the universitry and noticed two guys standing outside wearing black satin jackets with the band's name on the back.  I quickly jammed out and found them at a place called the Chuckbox.  I went up and offered them 50 whole dollars for a jacket.  Stupid but worth a try.  No sale.  I then asked them to give Tommy a fan's regards and left.  The concertgoers' reaction was understandable.  Tommy opened with "Down In The Track" and played a Gibson Firebird.  Two fans reacted loudly.  OK, it was me and my friend.  The rest of the crowd didn't know the song at all.  Bummer for them.  It wasn't until Tommy later played familiar Doobie tunes that the crowd finally caught on.  Now, back to the Doobs.  Tommy's gone and the band can either stop the tour or do something quick.  Jeff Baxter suggests a pal from the Steely Dan days.  Michael McDonald becomes a Doobie.  There's a wind of change a 'comin'.

          Here it is.  "Takin It To the Streets".  This album begins the "Michael McDonad Era".  Like most die-hard Doobie fanatics, the album was a hard pill for me to swallow.  Jazz?  "What's this funky jazz influence?  What happened to my Doobies?"  Well, they turned left and kept cruising.  I must be honest and say that I now enjoy all of the music the band puts out... it just took some time to get used to this new style.   What makes this music good is the basics of Doobie music:  Musicianship, two drummers (always), good rhythm, and superb recording.  It's all there.  Tommy has a song here, "Turn It Loose", but this is all for him.  "Rio" is my favorite tune and "Takin' It To The Streets" and "For Someone Special" are also up there.  Michael McDonald has several songs here and his influence is unmistakeable.  A smooth style with the recognizable Doobie touch.  This album went platinum in 1978.

          "Livin' On The Fault Line" completes the transition to the jazzy feel.  While many Doobie listeners believe this is a big departure from the earlier Doobie sound, I prefer to think of it as creative expression.  So there.  Really, though, this is a sleeper classic.  Along with some very familiar tunes, the title track and "Chinatown" are super songs.  Jeff Baxter's guitar work is clean and experimental.  The recording is clean and clear.  I understand that while it wasn't a big-hit seller for the band, it is consistant in sales over the years.  "Stampede", "Takin' It To The Streets", and "Livin' On The Fault Line" all went gold the same year they were released.  That's pretty good in my book.  I've always loved the cover.  It's kind of like "oops... maybe we should move".  I highly recommend this for your collection if you like a softer feeling album.

          Triple-platinum and four Grammy© awards.  Pretty good, eh?  "Minute By Minute" really pushed the band into the limelight.  It's all because of a little Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins ditty titled "What A Fool Believes".  Once again I like the hits but the deeper cuts are what I enjoy most.  "How Do The Fools Survive" has super guitar work, "Don't Stop To Watch The Wheels" is movin', and "Steamer Lane Breakdown" is a cool finger-picking instrumental country foot-stomper (my favorite tune from the album).   This disc is a lot less jazzy to my ears.  I can't really put a description to the sound.  The Doobie Brothers are riding high and have hit a pinnacle in the career of the band.  But once again the band membership will change.  Jeff Baxter and original member and founder John Hartman will be gone by the next album.

          "One Step Closer" is the last studio album for the Doobie Brothers as far as I knew.  New members include Chet McCracken on drums, Cornelius Bumpus on keyboards and saxophone, and John McFee on guitar.  Again, the band has many songs hit the airwaves.  This album has more of a "groove" feel than jazz and is different than "Minute by Minute".  My pick from this album is a cruising instrumental tune named "South Bay Strut".  The title cut is cool, too. Penned by Keith Knudsen, John McFee and Carlene Carter, this song needs to be listened to with headphones.  The Doobie sound is all over this song.  Great recording, impeccable drum work, smooth harmonies, and the always present rhythm.  It is the last studio album for the band and another change in membership as Willie Weeks is playing bass on the One Step tour.  After touring to promote this album the band decides to hang it up and have a farewell tour.

          After the Doobie Brothers read this review, they will never come back to Cincinnati.  You can take that to the bank.  It’s not that the tone of the review will keep them away.  No sir.  Negative or positive, they won’t be back. You can put that in your passbook, too.

          The show the Doobie Brothers did Tuesday night at Riverfront Coliseum was the last one they’ll ever do in this town.  Period.  The end.  That’s all there is. There ain’t any more.  The Doobie Brothers are on their farewell tour. Every tune they did Tuesday night was a swan song.

          Cliff Radel
          The Cincinnati Enquirer
          8-11-82

          "Ah, dammit, The Doobie Brothers broke up.  When did that happen?"
          Michael Douglas in "Romancing The Stone"

          Well here it is.  The end of The Doobie Brothers.  A sad time for me, for sure.  I went to the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix to say goodbye to my favorite band.  Kind of like a family member moving away but not being able to contact them once they're gone.  It was a classic Doobie show.  Perfect sound, great musicianship, and songs everyone enjoyed.  The place was packed.  Bittersweet, I'd say.  I wasn't only seeing my boys for the last time but the world wouldn't have the opportunity to see them again either.  At least I had the music and many concert memories.  Disco was passe and punk was in.  Too much anger.  There were other bands I enjoyed and would go to many more concerts, but a part of my music soul was mssing.  Such is life.

          Never say never...

          Whoa...wait a minute...turn that up!  It was the spring of 1987.  I was listening to a local Phoenix radio station and heard a blurb about the Doobies?  Damn, I missed it.  Was I going nuts or did I hear reunion?  Luckily I heard the news again and yes, it's true.  The Doobie's were getting back together for a benefit tour to help The Little Sisters Of The Poor.  They would be playing a show at The Aladdin Theater For the Performing Arts in Las Vegas.  Everyone?  Yes, the radio said everyone who was in the band would be there.  Holy smokes!  My boys!  My band!  Only a six hour drive away!  It could only be better if they were playing in my living room.  I bought 5 tickets to the show.  I asked everyone I knew if they'd like to go and only one accepted.  The ones who declined were gonna miss something special.  And it was special.

          The theater was a decent size.  Not too big or too small.  I gazed at the stage.  Amplifiers everywhere.  Four drum kits and Bobby's congas between.  Keyboards on each end.  I'd never seen that many microphones on a stage in my life. This, my friends, was going to be close to Heaven on earth.  The show was nearly unbelieveable.  I heard songs I'd never heard them play.  "Sweet Maxine", "Nobody",  "Steamerlane Breakdown" with all four drummers going at it.  The lineup was remarkable.  Tommy, Pat, Jeff, John, Tiran, Willie, Michael, Cornelius, Chet, Keith, John, Mike, and Bobby.  There was so much power there I think the band was running the lights on theVegas strip.  It was one of those moments you wish you could freeze and keep with you forever.  I remember thinking how good they were.  How well they looked.  It was like a video postcard reassuring me that they were having a wonderful time and were glad I (and everyone else) was there.  Yeah, well, me too.  I was certainly glad I was there.  But once again it came to a close.  It wasn't as hard on me as when they first disbanded.  I knew that they were fine and everything was right with the universe.

          Let's take a close look at this wonderful band, shall we?  No?  Too bad.  Just to make it a bit clearer for you, I'll list the different incarnations of The Doobie Brothers.

          Pat Simmons
          Tommy Johnston
          John Hartman
          Dave Shogren

          Pat Simmons
          Tommy Johnston
          John Hartman
          Keith Knudsen
          Tiran Porter
          Jeff Baxter

          Pat Simmons
          Tommy Johnston
          John Hartman
          Michael Hossack
          Tiran Porter

          Pat Simmons
          John Hartman
          Keith Knudsen
          Tiran Porter
          Jeff Baxter
          Michael McDonald
          Bobby LaKind
          Pat Simmons
          Tommy Johnston
          John Hartman
          Keith Knudsen
          Tiran Porter

          Pat Simmons
          John McFee
          Chet McCracken
          Keith Knudsen
          Tiran Porter
          Michael McDonald
          Bobby LaKind
          Cornelius Bumpus

          What I've listed is the basic Doobie line-up.  These were the band members for the studio albums.  There is, lastly but not leastly, Willie Weeks who played on both the One Step and Farewell tours.  This takes me back to the beginning of my little Doobie history.  I mentioned that the band would go through changes.  Well, now you know.  If you noticed, there is one name throughout...Pat.  It's a testament to Pat that he not only stuck it out through years of recording, touring and parties, but so smoothly embraced the changes in Doobie music styles.  He's a very nice person, too.  As a matter of fact, all the Doobies are super nice.  I don't know this 'cause I haven't met them.  They broke up, you know...

          Deja Vu, you?...

          Whoa, wait a minute...you heard what?  My friend informs me she heard a new single from the Doobies.  "No way" I say.  "Yeah way, moron.  How is it you didn't know about this?" she said.  Shamed in my own home.  I had no idea.  That didn't take away from the fact that it was the Doobies and something new was out.  Who?  When?  Why?(who cares).  It was the Doobies Toulouse Street lineup.  It was 1989.  Oh, happy day.

          The Doobie Brothers had released their first studio album in about ten years.  Cycles was the name and rock was the game.  My friend brought over a cassette single of "The Doctor".  It's a rockin' tune that I think was unfairly compared to "China Grove".  I didn't hear what others heard.  To me, "The Doctor" was it's own song with, yes, the Doobies sound.  I was off to get the album.

          Cycles is an album where the Doobies got back to their rock roots yet there is a more mature feel.  It's also more of a collaborative effort.  It went gold in 1989.  One thing I was personally glad to hear was Tommy's voice.  I've written that I like all the music the Doobies have done but Tommy being there somehow made the band complete for me.  It's the lineup I enjoy most and they were back.  The Doctor is the edgiest rocker on here.  The Doobs spread the musical wings throughout this album.  My other picks are One Chain, Take Me To The Highway, Time Is Here And Gone, and the funky Wrong Number.  However, for me the real gem is the Isley Brothers' Need A Little Taste Of Love.  I found it difficult to progress through the rest of the album because I was replaying that song so much.  Goofy me.  Happy me.

          One of the benefits of a new album is concerts.  I'm back on track!  My friend and I are off to see the Doobies at the ASU Activity Center.   The boys looked great.  About the third song came "Road Angel".  I was rockin'.  Their set covered songs from throughout their discography.  Tommy was looking good and John and Mike were back and awesome as the dynamic drumming duo.  Heck, the whole band was hot...and tight as ever.  Things are good and I like it.  They're not going to cruise, though.  Another album is in the works.

          In 1991 The Doobie Brothers release "Brotherhood".  This is a rare time when I see the band live before owning the album.  I went to The Veteran's Memorial Coliseum during our Arizona State Fair.  The show was free with admission.  Such a bargain.  I was intrigued by two electric Dobro's on stands at the front of the stage.  The band opens with "Dangerous" from Brotherhood.  This song rocks and seems to go on and on and also used the Dobro's.  Other highlights from this album are "Excited", "This Train I'm On", and "Something You Said".  I also like the sho' 'nuf funky "Is Love Enough?".  The album seems more '90's rock.  A lot of songwriters are on this album.  Another collaborative collection of tunes.  Once again The Doobie Brothers head off.  I'll just have to wait for announcements of their return.  Or will I?  The Internet will change that.

          To be honest, I can't recall if I see the band again 'til 1997.  1997.  This is a momentous year in DoobFan's life, but let's back up a tad.  I finally get a computer.  It's a screamer!  A 486 DX33 with 8 whole megabytes of RAM!  $160 for the extra 4 megs.  A friend tells me the internet is a dark and evil place.  "They know what you're doing!", he says.  I stay away for a few years (a big mistake).  Finally, I'm logged on.  I go with a local ISP and have the perfect nick:  DoobieFan!!!  Huh?  What, you say?  I can have a maximum 8 letters for my nickname?  Lessee...hmmmm...DoobieFan...  9 letters!?!  Oh no!  I grieve for a moment and register as DoobFan.  Well, I rationalize and say things like, "It's different", and "Unique".  I have never seen another.  There are plenty of Doob's out there and I'll sometimes use that myself.  But I'm confident in writing that there is only one DoobFan in all the Universe!  Maybe all of Arizona.  Phoenix?  OK, enough about DoobFan, on with the history.  When I log on, the first search I do is...drumroll please..."The Doobie Brothers".  Well, whaddayaknow!  They have a website. I go and check and they have a fan club!  I join.  There is a mail list and I become friends with a lot of people who know as much if not more than I do about the band.  And they love them just as much.  Until that time, I really thought I was the only person on this globe that felt this strongly about the band.  Nope.  This was surely a great find.  It was 1996 when a contest came up.  There were 20 winners and ten were gonna get tickets to the Friday night River Run concert in Laughlin and ten winners get tickets for the Saturday night concert to be jammin' in April, 1997.  I win! OK, it was a simple question for a Doobie fan.  "What is the color of the Harley-Davidson in 'Road Angel'".  You don't know?  Go to my lyrics page for the answer (it's on Vices and Habits).

          I'm sitting in my kitchen one early evening and the phone rings.  "Hello, is this JR?"  Yep.  "This is Michael Hossack of th...  No s#*%!!!  Really?  It was and he said I won two tickets.  This was gonna be a gas.  The club scheduled a meeting for Saturday.  I had a banner made, people were bringing memorabilia, we were gonna meet the band...and on and on.  So one day my sister-in-law calls for something and asks what's going on for me.  I pump up my chest and say "I'm going to see the Doobies in a few weeks!".  She replied, "Oh, I know them".  I couldn't believe it.  "You know know them?"  "Oh sure...have for many years...Keith is a friend of mine...knew their photographer...took the photo...talk often..."  I just about pass out.  Like I wrote earlier, I had no idea of such a close connection...for years, people.  After I get over the shock I ask her to let Keith know I'm coming and all is good.

          I am now connected in cyberspace to my favorite band.  No more wondering how they're doing.  I can check their schedule at any time.  I have many good Doobie friends and now I'm going to meet the band.  Son-of-a-gun.

          The shindig in Laughlin is a success.  The fan club winners and others spend time with the band and get to know them pretty well.  The Doobies are great and cordial people.  I've since met some family members and you couldn't ask for nicer people.  Are they still touring?  Why, yes they are.  Since 1996 I've been keeping a close eye on their schedule and they are touring all the time.  Around 80 shows or more a year.  Are they the real deal?  Why, yes they are.  Pat, Tommy, John, and Mike make up the core.  Also there is Guy Allison on keyboards, Skylark on bass, Marc Russo on Saxophone, and Ed Toth on drums.  And just when I think that touring is their gig, another album is coming out!

          Sibling Rivalry.  The Doobies 12th and latest studio album is released in 2000.  For a larger image of the beautiful cover click here.  This collection is a bit different than the previous two albums.  It's feel is mellower and throughout is a positive message.  Be kind, basically, and watch your butt.  My faves are "People Gotta Love Again", "Jericho", and "Rockin' Horse".  The chorus in "Rockin' Horse" I especially like for it's harmony and presence.  Other good songs are "Ordinary Man" and "45th Floor".  Pat Simmons and John McFee whip out the acoustic guitars for "Five Corners", a nice surprise for me because I've always loved Pat's finger-picking.  Some gifts are included on this CD.  There is a Windows Media Player skin, some software and a great video of the band doing "Long Train Runnin'".  It's nice to watch the Doobies evolve and still rock.  Go see them.

          Well, that's the history of the Doobie Brothers according to me.  I hope you've enjoyed your trip.  For more information on the band, try my links page.  I try to add to my site and have plenty of links that can help you see what's up with the boys.  If I've made any errors that you notice, you're wrong.  :o)  Just kidding.  Let me know about it and I'll check it out.  Remember that the band is still rockin' down the highway and may be playing near you soon.  Buy a ticket and have a nice time.

          DoobFan

          | DoobFan.com Main Page |   | Doobie Brothers History |

          | Fan Club Member Sites |  | Search For Doobie Info |   | Assorted Doobie Photos |

          | Interesting Sites |  | Doobie Lyrics |

          --
          Best regards,
          Dan West

          "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
          Ed Biggs

              Wild West's Hotel Music Studio
          ========================================|

          http://home.att.net/~wild-west/studio.htm
          ========================================|
                 WILD WEST'S MUSIC HOTEL
          ========================================|

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2006
            As one of the most popular Californian pop/rock bands of the '70s, the Doobie Brothers evolved from a mellow, post-hippie boogie band to a slick, soul-inflected pop band by the end of the decade. Along the way, the group racked up a string of gold and platinum albums in the U.S., along with a number of radio hits like "Listen to the Music," "Black Water" and "China Grove."

            The roots of the Doobie Brothers lay in Pud, a short-lived Californian country-rock band in the vein of Moby Grape featuring guitarist/vocalist Tom Johnston and drummer John Hartman. After Pud collapsed in 1969, the pair began jamming with bassist Dave Shogren and guitarist Patrick Simmons. Eventually, the quartet decided to form a group, naming themselves the Doobie Brothers after a slang term for marijuana. Soon, the Doobies earned a strong following throughout Southern California, especially among Hell's Angels, and they were signed to Warner Bros. in 1970. The band's eponymous debut was ignored upon its 1971 release. Following its release, Shogren was replaced by Tiran Porter and the group added a second drummer, Michael Hossack, for 1972's Toulouse Street. Driven by the singles "Listen to the Music" and "Jesus Is Just Alright," Toulouse Street became the group's breakthrough. The Captain and Me (1973) was even more successful, spawning the Top Ten hit "Long Train Runnin'" and "China Grove."

            Keith Knudsen replaced Hossack as the group's second drummer for 1974's What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, which launched their first number one single, "Black Water," and featured heavy contributions from former Steely Dan member Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. Jeff "Skunk" Baxter officially joined the Doobie Brothers for 1975's Stampede. Prior to the album's spring release, Johnston was hospitalized with a stomach ailment, and was replaced for the supporting tour by keyboardist/vocalist Michael McDonald, who had also worked with Steely Dan. Although it peaked at number four, Stampede wasn't as commercially successful as its three predecessors, and the group decided to let McDonald and Baxter, who were now official Doobies, revamp the band's light country-rock and boogie.

            The new sound was showcased on 1976's Takin' It to the Streets, a collection of light funk and jazzy pop that resulted in a platinum album. Later that year, the group released the hits compilation, The Best of the Doobies. In 1977, the group released Livin' on the Fault Line, which was successful without producing any big hits. Johnston left the band after the album's release to pursue an unsuccessful solo career. Following his departure, the Doobies released their most successful album, Minute by Minute (1978) which spent five weeks at number one on the strength of the number one single "What a Fool Believes." Hartman and Baxter left the group after the album's supporting tour, leaving the Doobie Brothers as McDonald's backing band.

            Following a year of audition, the Doobies hired ex-Clover guitarist John McFee, session drummer Chet McCracken and former Moby Grape saxophonist Cornelius Bumpus and released One Step Closer (1980), a platinum album that produced the Top Ten hit "Real Love." During the tour for One Step Closer, McCracken was replaced by Newmark. Early in 1982, the Doobie Brothers announced they were breaking up after a farewell tour, which was documented on the 1983 live album, Farewell Tour. After the band's split, McDonald pursued a successful solo career, while Simmons released one unsuccessful solo record. In 1987, the Doobies reunited for a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, which quickly became a brief reunion tour; McDonald declined to participate in the tour.

            By 1989, the early-'70s lineup of Johnston, Simmons, Hartman, Porter, and Hossack, augmented by percussionist and former Doobies roadie Bobby LaKind, had signed a contract with Capitol Records. Their reunion album, Cycles, went gold upon its summer release in 1989, spawning the Top Ten hit "The Doctor." Brotherhood followed two years later, but it failed to generate much interest. For the remainder of the '90s, the group toured the U.S., playing the oldies circuit and '70s revival concerts. By 1995, Michael McDonald had joined the group again and the following year saw the release of Rockin' Down the Highway. But the lineup had once again shifted by the turn of the new millennium. 2000 saw the band -- Michael Hossack, Tom Johnston, Keith Knudsen, John McFee, and Patrick Simmons -- issue Sibling Rivalry, which featured touring members Guy Allison on keyboards, Marc Russo on saxophone, and Skylark on bass. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 19, 2007
              Great!!!

              The Doobie Brothers are an American rock group, best known for hit singles like "Black Water," "China Grove," "Listen to the Music," "Long Train Runnin'," and "What a Fool Believes." They have sold over 20 million albums in the United States from the 1970s to the present.

              In 1969, singer, guitarist and songwriter Tom Johnston and drummer John Hartman formed the nucleus of what would become The Doobie Brothers. Skip Spence of Moby Grape (formerly of Jefferson Airplane) introduced them to one another after Hartman arrived in California determined to meet Spence and join an aborted Grape reunion. New bandmates Johnston and Hartman called their fledgling group Pud and experimented with different lineups and styles as they performed in and around San Jose. They were briefly a power trio, and briefly worked with a horn section. In 1970, they teamed up with bass player Dave Shogren and singer, guitarist and songwriter Patrick Simmons. Simmons, who had belonged to several area groups and also performed as a solo artist, was already an accomplished fingerstyle player whose approach to the instrument complemented Johnston's rhythmic R&B strumming. In a recent interview, Tom Johnston attributed the band's eventual name to friend and housemate Keith "Dyno" Rosen, who considered it an improvement over Pud.

              The Doobie Brothers honed their chops by performing live all over northern California in 1970. They attracted a particularly strong following among local chapters of the Hells Angels and scored a recurring gig at one of the bikers' favorite venues, the rustic Chateau Liberte in the Santa Cruz Mountains. An energetic set of demos (some of which were briefly released on Pickwick Records in 1980 under the title Introducing the Doobie Brothers), showcased fuzz-toned, dual lead electric guitars, three-part harmonies and Hartman's frenetic drumming and earned the rock group a contract at Warner Bros. Records.

              At this point in their history, the band's image reflected that of their biggest fans - leather jackets and motorcycles. However, the group's 1971 self-titled debut album departed significantly from that image and their live sound of the period. The album, which failed to chart, emphasized acoustic guitars and frequently reflected country influences. The bouncy lead-off song "Nobody," the band's first single, has surfaced in their live set several times over the ensuing decades and even appears on the 2004 DVD Live at Wolf Trap.

              The following year's second album, Toulouse Street (which spawned the classic rock staples "Listen To The Music," "Rockin' Down the Highway" and "Jesus Is Just Alright"), brought the band their breakthrough success. In collaboration with manager Bruce Cohn, producer Ted Templeman, and engineer Donn Landee, the band put forward a more polished and eclectic set of songs. They also made necessary improvements to the line-up. First, they replaced Shogren with singer, songwriter and bass guitarist Tiran Porter. Second, they supplemented Hartman's drumming with that of Navy veteran Michael Hossack. Porter and Hossack were both stalwarts of the northern California music scene. Pianist Bill Payne of Little Feat contributed keyboards for the first time (He added keys to their studio recordings for many years thereafter and once briefly joined their touring band.) With an improved rhythm section and the songwriting of Johnston and Simmons, the Doobies' trademark sound - an amalgam of R&B, country, bluegrass, heavy metal and rock and roll - emerged fully formed.

              A string of hits followed, including Johnston's "Long Train Runnin'" and "China Grove," from the 1973 album The Captain and Me. Other noteworthy songs on the album were Simmons' country-ish ode "South City Midnight Lady" and the explosive, heavy metal raveup, "Without You," for which the entire band received songwriting credit. Onstage, the latter song would stretch into a 15-minute jam with additional lyrics ad-libbed by Johnston. A 1974 appearance on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert featured one such epic performance of the tune.

              Simmons' signature tune "Black Water" (from 1974's What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits) became the band's first #1 single. "Black Water," which featured the memorable refrain, "I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty mama come and take me by the hand," eventually propelled the album to multi-platinum status. Johnston's lyrical "Another Park, Another Sunday" (as a single, "Black Water" was its B-side) and his horn-driven funk song "Eyes of Silver" also charted as minor hits at #32 & #52 respectively.

              Before completing the Vices recording sessions, Hossack abruptly departed the band. Drummer, songwriter and vocalist Keith Knudsen was recruited quickly and left with the Doobies on a major tour within days of joining. Both Hossack's drums and Knudsen's voice are heard on Vices.

              Also in 1974, Steely Dan co-lead guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter learned that his band was retiring from the road and that Donald Fagen and Walter Becker intended to work almost exclusively with session players in the future. In need of a steady gig, he segued into the Doobie Brothers as third lead guitarist in the middle of their current tour. He had previously worked with the band in the studio, adding pedal steel guitar to both Captain ("South City Midnight Lady") and Vices ("Black Water," "Tell Me What You Want"). During this period and for several subsequent tours, the Doobies were often supported onstage by Stax Records legends, The Memphis Horns. Live recordings with the horn section have aired on radio on the King Biscuit Flower Hour, though none has been officially released. They also appeared as session players on multiple Doobies albums.

              Watch the real thing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWu1WwKCus

              Doobie Bros: "China Grove"

              When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town
              Down around san antone
              And the folks are risin for another day
              round about their homes

              The people of the town are strange
              And theyre proud of where they came
              Well, youre talkin bout china grove
              Oh, china grove

              Well, the preacher and the teacher
              Lord, theyre a caution
              They are the talk of the town
              When the gossip gets to flyin
              And they aint lyin
              When the sun goes fallin down

              They say that the fathers insane
              And dear missus perkins a game
              Were talkin bout the china grove
              Oh, china grove

              But every day theres a new thing comin
              The ways of an oriental view
              The sheriff and his buddies
              With their samurai swords
              You can even hear the music at night

              And though its a part of the lone star state
              People dont seem to care
              They just keep on lookin to the east

              Talkin bout the china grove
              Oh, china grove
              --
              Best regards,
              Dan West

              "It Takes A Love Of Music To Put A MIDI Together."
              Ed Biggs

                  Wild West's Music Studio

              http://mysite.verizon.net/wild_west2/studio.htm