Re: [midkar] A better virtual sound module

  • rontild@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi Tarcisio,

      Just to let you know that Creative Labs does have a Notebook version of the Soundblaster Card.
      It sells for $89 US and here is the URL for it:

      Ron

      -------------- Original message from "Tarcisio Goes" <tcgoes@...>: --------------

      Hi everyone,

      My name is Tarcisio and I joined this group to share experiences/ files and
      to help and be helped with midi/sequencing issues. And I also have several
      midi files that I will be glad to share with members.

      I'd like to ask/discuss a question about midi. I am a professional musician
      and I use two laptop computers running midi files while I play the guitar,
      my wife plays percussion and we both sing.

      The problem is that we have been using Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth and
      Roland VSC as midi devices for Cakewalk, but although their are halfway
      decent, I think they leave too much to be desired in terms of sound quality
      and reality of sounds.

      I have heard sound fonts, but it seems like they only work with a Creative
      Soundlabs card and laptops don't have those.

      I tried Sonar 7.0 with virtual modules such as Hypersonic, HyperCanvas and
      Cakewalk TTS, but they don't run so smoothly and require a lot of machine
      power. Also, I found an small improvement from using this setup.

      I also know I could use an external USB sound module (hardware), but as I
      use 2 laptops, I'd have to use (and buy) two, and I also want to keep my
      setup as compact as possible.

      So, I'm asking you guys: do you know or use other better options for Virtual
      Midi Devices? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.

      Tarcisio

    • Tarcisio Goes
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
        Using one laptop wouln't allow us both to read our own lyrics on the screen comfortably. Also our repertoire consists of 1500 songs (750 each) and a  list of 1500 songs for both to se ar  ch from would be harder. And also, she likes her songs alphabetically while I like mine in sets by music type such as : fast, slow, rock, jazz, etc.

        It would be very awkward for us to use a single unit, because we  perform  more  like  '2 independent artists backing each other' than a plain duo. It is not easy to explain, but just for the sake of clarity, we don't work as Simon & Garfunkel, but more like, suppose Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand  do gig together and they take turns singing their own tunes,  and while one os singing, the other does back up vocals, etc.

        But the merger box is a great suggestion.  Thank you!

        Tarcisio

        Ok I See, but there are sequencer progs out there that will allow you to choose the next song whilst the current is playing, mine is controllable via a midi footswitch too.

        If you want to stay with the dual computer setup Id be inclined to buy 2 1 channel USB/Midi interfaces (look on Ebay theres thousands of them for about $20 each) , feed these into a 2x1 midi merger box and route the output of this to feed a decent sound expander module.

        http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220302863071

        http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqmr.htm

        Terry