34524Tutorial: Installing and configuring the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth

  • Don Allen
    Feb 6, 2014
    Hi folks,

    It felt it necessary to do a simple tutorial on getting up and running with the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth and Timbres of Heaven SoundFont.

    I am on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), but your screens will look very similar.

    Firstly, download Timbres of Heaven from here: http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html
    Next, create a new folder named "SoundFonts" in a logical place that you will not forget, e.g. "C:\SoundFonts".

    Now download the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth from here: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

    Then follow the below instructions to get the synth installed properly with Timbres of Heaven SoundFont.

    Alright, double-click the installer package and begin the install process.

    Choose your language and click "OK":

    Click Next:

    If you see any applications listed on the next screen, simply right-click on them and choose "Close This Process".
    First time installs should not show this:

    Click the "Install" button:

    Click "Next":

    Check all boxes except the one that says "VirtualMIDISynth Needs SoundFont Files To Work....." You already have the TOH SoundFont:

    Click "Next" and you should see a screen that looks like this:

    Click on the "Plus" button on the right to browse to your SoundFonts folder and select "Timbres Of Heaven GM_GS_XG_SFX V 2.0.sf2":

    Click the open button to load the SoundFont file into the chain list:

    Next, click the "Midi Mapper" tab and make sure it looks like this:

    Click the "OK" button and you have successfully installed everything you need.

    Each player and sequencer application will have their own configuration procedures to chose the MIDI Out Port.

    If you need a tutorial for Anvil Studio, vanBasco, or WinAMP, please let me know.

    Any questions?

    All the best my good friends,
    Don Allen

    --