free software - was SLOW GOLD software

  • Kevin Mcfarland
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2007
      Kevin Lawton wrote:
      <<(also free, of course, I would never recommend that somebody pays
      money for software)>>

      Why would you recommend that?

      Are you saying that, if you look hard enough, you can usually find
      free (legal) software that will accomplish whatever it is you want to
      do? I doubt that, for example, there's no way I could find free
      (legal) software that is the equivelent of say Digital Performer
      (which I use a lot). You get what you pay for.

      Or are you saying that you always try to find a free illegal version
      of whatever software it is that you're looking for? Hacks, keys etc.
      For example trying to find a site where you can download Digital
      Performer illegally.

      Which pisses me off a little, because, what, do you think every
      software developer is a &*! Microsoft? A lot of them (like me) are
      small one-person shops, barely making ends meet.

      I think both Slow Gold and Amazing Slow Downer fall into that
      category (small, one or two-person shops).
    • midimacmobile@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        a software called Vision by Opcode was the prime
        competition of Digital Performer when it was bought by
        Gibson and put on a shelf ?why? ... it can be
        downloaded for free from these sites ...
        http://www.opcodeusers.com/opcode/vision.html
        http://www.fm-music.com/v/
        http://www.sonosphere.com/MusicSoftware/Opcode/
        NOTE:there are other companies who use the name
        Opcode
        ... there is a support group that uses this software
        and help each other ... it's been in operation many
        moons ... check this out before you buy into to idea
        that there is no awesome software for free ...
        questions ? I'll try to help, Tom Oh !

        > Are you saying that, if you look hard enough, you
        > can usually find free (legal) software that will
        accomplish
        > whatever it is you > want to do? I doubt that, for
        example,
        > there's no way I could find free (legal) software
        that is the
        > equivelent of say Digital Performer (which I use
        a lot). You
        > get what you pay for.

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • Timothy Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2007
          Hi,
          I remenber Vision. But you know, unless you have
          permisson from the copyright holders to post the
          software, their copyright does not expire just because
          the program is no longer being sold or developed.

          Removing the copy protection is also not legal. Its
          a lot of legal libility for a piece of software that
          to be polite, there are much better featured legal
          programs out there, both free or almost free and
          commerical.

          I have a lot of music software , midi software that
          is no longer being sold or developed, but I am not
          going to break many laws by cracking the copy
          protection and giving the software away. Usually one
          can find a copy of any used software one wants to buy
          and obtain a legal copy.

          As someone who owns a lot of copyrights, I would
          not want anyone giving my stuff away without my
          permission, which I would never give. Let them create
          and copyright their own stuff.

          Happy Midi
          MidiVox

        • midimacmobile@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2007
            Thanks for your response Timothy, I agree with
            you ... the theft of someones property is karma
            that'll come up and bite you in the ass ... that's NOT
            what this is about ... did you go to the
            opcodeusersgroup website ? ... it is stated that the
            free downloading of the software IS LEGAL ... some of
            the members of this group are former opcode creators
            ... read the Resource page ... there is also pages of
            information about the buyout of opcode in the early
            90's and how the software was intentionally put on a
            shelf ... never a new version created or sold ... I
            honor the truth you see ... you are a good man my
            friend ... keep on midin', sincerely Tom Oh !

            --- Timothy Kelly <midivox@...> wrote:
            > Hi, I remenber Vision. But you know, unless you
            have
            > permisson from the copyright holders to post the
            > software, their copyright does not expire just
            > because the program is no longer being sold or
            developed.
            > Removing the copy protection is also not legal.
            > Its a lot of legal libility for a piece of software
            that
            > to be polite, there are much better featured legal
            > programs out there, both free or almost free and
            > commerical.
            > I have a lot of music software , midi software
            > tha is no longer being sold or developed, but I am
            not
            > going to break many laws by cracking the copy
            > protection and giving the software away. Usually one
            > can find a copy of any used software one wants to
            > buy and obtain a legal copy.
            > As someone who owns a lot of copyrights, I would
            > not want anyone giving my stuff away without my
            > permission, which I would never give. Let them
            > create and copyright their own stuff.
            > Happy Midi
            > MidiVox

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?