Maury County Tennessee

  • Terri Douglas Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      I was thrilled to find this group this morning. My sister and I are
      fairly new to genealogy and although we've gathered a lot of
      information quickly, we are having a tough time with some of our
      Tennessee kinfolk due to the fact that our great-grandfather was
      adopted/taken in by the Douglas' family of Maury County, TN in 1880.
      We have accounts with ancestry.com and have gathered all the obvious
      information from their site and posted on all the obvious message
      boards, so I'm hoping this site might offer us some new leads.

      Some of the names from Maury County that we are researching are:

      Douglas
      Douglass
      Baily
      Bailey
      Howard
      Nelson
      Pope
      Dugger

      The names that I am most interested in are Baily/Bailey and Dugger.
      We're trying to sort through the mystery of who our great-
      grandfather's parents were and about the only thing we know is he had
      a brother named John Baily (all photos spelled with no "e"). Our
      great-grandfather's name was Charles Alexander Douglas b.1877 d.1953
      in Maury County. He left Tennessee around 1897 and moved to Fort
      Worth, TX where he later married Elizabeth Pearl McClure. They
      returned to TN and lived in various places in the Shelby County area.

      We have a lot of info on the Douglas', but Charles seems to have some
      connection to the Dugger family because all of his photos, prior to
      1900, have the name Charles Dugger written on the back.

      If anyone can help with(or even add to *laugh*)the mystery we would
      appreciate your input.