Surnames: DREW DRUE :GOOCH :JAKOWAY :JOHNS :COLLINS

  • nkiyokod
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      I am researching the above surmames in the middle Tennesse
      area, including the cities of: Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Lascassas, and
      Nashville. This would include Davidson and Rutherford County and the
      Hickory Grove Community near Walter Hill. All relatives are of
      Native(Cherokee and Blackfoot) American and African American decent.

      Verbal family history as us in this area as far back as the early
      1800's starting with Moses B. Drew(born 1814) marrying a Mary Stewart
      (born
      1821) in Wilson County Tennessee and then moving to Rutherford County
      Tennessee. they had 12 children, some born in Wilson County: John
      Thomas
      Drew, Sr.(born 1851-1855),George Drew(born 1861), Susan Drew(born
      1865), Charles Drew(born 1865), Rufus Drew(born 1871), Rebecca Drew
      (born
      1869), William F. Drew(born 1844-1845), James A. Drew(born 1847-
      1848),
      Richard A Drew(born 1849-1850), Robert W. Drew(born 1853-1854, Moses
      F.
      Drew(born 1855-1856, and Eliza J. Drew(born 1857-1858).

      I am a descendant of John Thomas Drew, Sr. who married a Fannie Bell
      Collins(born 1862). They had 12 children: John Thomas Drew, Jr.
      (born
      1886-1888), Walter Drew (born March 3, 1895 in Smyrna, TN), Robert
      Lee
      Drew (born July 9, 1888 in Smyrna, TN), Willie B. Drew(born 1892),
      Leonard Drew, George Drew, Lafayette Drew, Thomas Drew, Gus Edward
      Drew, Mary
      Lee Drew, Christine Drew(born 1878), and James Drew(born 1880).

      The above John Thomas Drew, Jr was my great grandfather, he married a
      Mahalia Gooch(born 1889). They had 10 children 1 of which was my
      grantfather Richard Drew, Sr(1926-2005), Richmond Drew(twin to my
      grandfather
      - deceased), Bernice Drew(1917-1985), John Thomas Drew, III, Robert
      Drew, Jackson Drew(born 1908-1909), Will Davis Drew, Sr. (1924-2002),
      Bessie Sue Drew(born 1904-1905) who married Ellis Rucker, Joe Drew,
      and
      Georgia B. Drew(born 1914-1915) who married James Talley.

      My grandfather, Richard Drew, Sr. married Willie Belle
      Jakoway(1927-1993). They had 5 children. Willie's parents were
      Hollie James
      Jakoway(born 5-20-1900 in Milton, TN) and Stella Elmira Johns born in
      Lascassas,
      TN (1901-1987). They had 5 children.

      Hollie's parents were William Jakoway and Anna Williams.

      Stella's parents were Robert Johns and Josie Morton/Moton.

      The surname DREW is sometimes spelled DRUE.
      There are also different spelling of JAKOWAY such as JAKAWAY.
    • stubbytate
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2006
        Might be able to help with the Gooch line. That's my sister's family
        name.

        Shoot me a name and I'll do a bit of searching around for you.

        Lynita (King) Tate
        stubbytate@...

        --- In middletennesseegenresearch@yahoogroups.com, "nkiyokod"