Re: [MidTNGen] surname variations

  • Marie Beckman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2002
      Yes I've ran across alot of "alternative" spellings in many of my surnames.
      Then when you have someone trying to index the poor handwriting it can be
      pretty difficult to filter thru all of it and find your families

      Even my Hale surname has ALOT of
      different spellings....
      It's amazing. Then you throw in the fact
      that my at least two of my Hales were
      named William.....and well.....that makes it even harder.
      Still gotta keep searching though

      --MarieB-)
      At 10:57 AM 9/7/02 -0500, you wrote:

      >Marie,
      >This is a tricky one, my Grandmother was married to a T.C. Nordin in 1911,
      >he died but they had my Aunt Cecil Annie. My Grandfather married Emma Sue In
      >1913.
      >Grand Father
      >as I discovered when I went to Sulpher Springs this past Thursday (for my
      >Birthday) was that the census taker had spelled our name as Norton.........
    • Faye Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2002
        My problem is Pool/Poole surnames. Not so much the extra e, but that they named 8 of my male relatives Andrew Jackson Pool or Poole.

        Am Southern born and bred and darn proud of it Am researching maternally:ballard,briley,clubbs,george,gillihan,goolsby,jackson,link(9x),majors,pool/poole,summers,thompson
        paternally:ausbrooks,barber,:brown,freeland,gant,kirkham,mcquiston,moye,parker,rippy,tipton,whitson

        Brenda Parker proud member of the IBSSG