Re: Researching Summers

  • marieclassof86
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2002
      Is this them in 1850?
      --MarieB-)

      1850 Rutherford Co. TN
      Fosterville Dist
      Page 338B
      1257/1257
      Zacariah Summers 28 M Farm TN
      Elizabeth 27 F TN
      John A 8 M TN
      Martha J. 6 F TN
      Thomas 4 M TN
      Carra? 2 F TN
      Susan 1/12 F TN

      --- In middletennesseegenresearch@y..., meejaman1 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Saw Faye's post... I am researching Summers, but in a slightly
      > different locality: Rutherford County, Murfreesboro area, for
      > Zachariah Summers, great-grandfather of my wife.
      > He was in Rutherford County, Murfreesboro in 1860 and 1870 censuses.
      > > David Benedict
    • Faye Parker
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hey when checking robertson county also check sumner. The lines changed. White House is in both counties. Traveling from Nashville to Gallatin, you go through robertson twice then back to davidson then into Sumner

        Am Southern born and bred and darn proud of it Am researching maternally:ballard,briley,clubbs,george,gillihan,goolsby,jackson,link(9x),majors,pool/poole,summers,thompson
        paternally:ausbrooks,barber,:brown,freeland,gant,kirkham,mcquiston,moye,parker,rippy,tipton,whitson

        Brenda Parker proud member of the IBSSG

      • Marie Beckman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
          I agree on that. You should always check surrounding counties.

          Examples from my lines
          Family that lived in southeast part of Bedford Co. is also in some Coffee
          Co. Records
          Family that lived in northwest part of Bedford Co. is in Rutherford &
          Marshall Co. Records
          Family that lived in northwest part of Van Buren Co. TN is in White &
          Warren Co. Records

          Maybe my family just had a knack for living near the county line. :)
          --MarieB-)

          Marie's Genealogy Homepage at Rootsweb
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rmbeckman/index.html

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
              Another useful hint, given to me a long time ago. When checking census records, look at least 5 families before and after. They went to school together, neighbors, often intermarried, and even sometimes moved as a group.