building projects

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008

      Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can be done economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are completely period in appearance. I’m too far away to take part (phooey), but would love to know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their process as it takes place.

      Namaste,

      Nancy

    • Sandie bbw
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it sounds really
        interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)

        Sandie

        --- In middlefaire@yahoogroups.com, " Nancy " <solacel@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can be done
        > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are completely
        period
        > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but would love
        > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their process
        as it
        > takes place.
        >

        > Namaste,
        >

        > Nancy

      • Paul Delacroix
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          I think strawbale is a terrific-looking option, although it's
          not "easy" to produce. You have to have full framing of one
          sort or another, plus a concrete beam surrounding the walls
          where the strawbales will be stacked. The bales have to be
          wheat straw, not hay. Then you have to lime putty or stucco
          in the bale walls and seal them against the weather. In my
          opinion, Texas is not the sort of climate that needs or lends
          itself to strawbale and other natural building techniques--I think
          they are best built in a cold, dry climate.

          Essentially the same visual effect with less work, IMHO, could
          be had with an extra-thick stucco wall that's double-sided
          around an airspace.

          But strawbale buildings do look great. :)

          -paul

          Sandie bbw <thepurplegypsy@...> wrote:
          Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it sounds really
          interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)

          Sandie

          --- In middlefaire@ yahoogroups. com, " Nancy " <solacel@... > wrote:

          > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can be done
          > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are completely
          period
          > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but would love
          > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their process
          as it
          > takes place.
          >

          > Namaste,
          >

          > Nancy

          Paul Delacroix
          mka K.G. Tuma
          CEO-President
          the Middlefaire Company, Inc.

          website:
          www.middlefaire.net

        • reddogdamnit2
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
            If you are in the Austin area, Sunset Canyon Pottery, on Hwy 290W, is
            a straw bale buliding. And one of my neighbors built his home
            strawbale.

            --- In middlefaire@yahoogroups.com, Paul Delacroix <middlefaire@...>
            wrote:

            > I think strawbale is a terrific-looking option, although it's
            > not "easy" to produce. You have to have full framing of one
            > sort or another, plus a concrete beam surrounding the walls
            > where the strawbales will be stacked. The bales have to be
            > wheat straw, not hay. Then you have to lime putty or stucco
            > in the bale walls and seal them against the weather. In my
            > opinion, Texas is not the sort of climate that needs or lends
            > itself to strawbale and other natural building techniques--I think
            > they are best built in a cold, dry climate.
            >
            > Essentially the same visual effect with less work, IMHO, could
            > be had with an extra-thick stucco wall that's double-sided
            > around an airspace.
            >
            > But strawbale buildings do look great. :)
            >
            > -paul
            >
            > Sandie bbw <thepurplegypsy@...> wrote:
            > Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it
            sounds really
            > interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)
            >
            > Sandie
            >
            > --- In middlefaire@yahoogroups.com, " Nancy " <solacel@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can be
            done
            > > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are
            completely
            > period
            > > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but would
            love
            > > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their
            process
            > as it
            > > takes place.
            > >

            > > Namaste,
            > >

            > > Nancy
            > >

            > Paul Delacroix
            > mka K.G. Tuma
            > CEO-President
            > the Middlefaire Company, Inc.
            >
            > website:
            > www.middlefaire.net
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            Try it now.

          • Paul Delacroix
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
              Another technique that looks marvelously period is
              "cordwood masonry". I'm not sure exactly how it is
              done properly, but it has a great "country cottage"
              look to it.

              -paul

              wrote:

              > I think strawbale is a terrific-looking option, although it's
              > not "easy" to produce. You have to have full framing of one
              > sort or another, plus a concrete beam surrounding the walls
              > where the strawbales will be stacked. The bales have to be
              > wheat straw, not hay. Then you have to lime putty or stucco
              > in the bale walls and seal them against the weather. In my
              > opinion, Texas is not the sort of climate that needs or lends
              > itself to strawbale and other natural building techniques-- I think
              > they are best built in a cold, dry climate.
              >
              > Essentially the same visual effect with less work, IMHO, could
              > be had with an extra-thick stucco wall that's double-sided
              > around an airspace.
              >
              > But strawbale buildings do look great. :)
              >
              > -paul
              >
              > Sandie bbw <thepurplegypsy@ ...> wrote:
              > Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it
              sounds really
              > interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)
              >
              > Sandie
              >
              > --- In middlefaire@ yahoogroups. com, " Nancy " <solacel@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can be
              done
              > > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are
              completely
              > period
              > > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but would
              love
              > > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their
              process
              > as it
              > > takes place.
              > >

              > > Namaste,
              > >

              > > Nancy
              > >

              > Paul Delacroix
              > mka K.G. Tuma
              > CEO-President
              > the Middlefaire Company, Inc.
              >
              > website:
              > www.middlefaire. net
              >
              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              Try it now.

            • reddogdamnit2
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
                That's how the footing of my barn is done. Using cedar.

                wrote:

                > Another technique that looks marvelously period is
                > "cordwood masonry". I'm not sure exactly how it is
                > done properly, but it has a great "country cottage"
                > look to it.
                >
                > -paul
                >
                > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@...> wrote:
                > If you are in the Austin area, Sunset Canyon Pottery, on
                Hwy 290W, is
                > a straw bale buliding. And one of my neighbors built his home
                > strawbale.
                >
                > --- In middlefaire@yahoogroups.com, Paul Delacroix <middlefaire@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I think strawbale is a terrific-looking option, although it's
                > > not "easy" to produce. You have to have full framing of one
                > > sort or another, plus a concrete beam surrounding the walls
                > > where the strawbales will be stacked. The bales have to be
                > > wheat straw, not hay. Then you have to lime putty or stucco
                > > in the bale walls and seal them against the weather. In my
                > > opinion, Texas is not the sort of climate that needs or lends
                > > itself to strawbale and other natural building techniques--I think
                > > they are best built in a cold, dry climate.
                > >
                > > Essentially the same visual effect with less work, IMHO, could
                > > be had with an extra-thick stucco wall that's double-sided
                > > around an airspace.
                > >
                > > But strawbale buildings do look great. :)
                > >
                > > -paul
                > >
                > > Sandie bbw <thepurplegypsy@> wrote:
                > > Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it
                > sounds really
                > > interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)
                > >
                > > Sandie
                > >
                > > --- In middlefaire@yahoogroups.com, " Nancy " <solacel@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can
                be
                > done
                > > > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are
                > completely
                > > period
                > > > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but
                would
                > love
                > > > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their
                > process
                > > as it
                > > > takes place.
                > > >

                > > > Namaste,
                > > >

                > > > Nancy
                > > >

                > > Paul Delacroix
                > > mka K.G. Tuma
                > > CEO-President
                > > the Middlefaire Company, Inc.
                > >
                > > website:
                > > www.middlefaire.net
                > >
                > > ---------------------------------
                Mobile.
                > Try it now.
                > >

                > ---------------------------------
                Search.

              • Paul Delacroix
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Cedar would be great, because it doesn't rot easily and
                  has a nice color.

                  Firewood would probably be too flimsy for cordwood masonry,
                  though I'm thinking about trying it on something non-structural.

                  wrote:

                  > Another technique that looks marvelously period is
                  > "cordwood masonry". I'm not sure exactly how it is
                  > done properly, but it has a great "country cottage"
                  > look to it.
                  >
                  > -paul
                  >
                  > reddogdamnit2 <davidj@...> wrote:
                  > If you are in the Austin area, Sunset Canyon Pottery, on
                  Hwy 290W, is
                  > a straw bale buliding. And one of my neighbors built his home
                  > strawbale.
                  >
                  > --- In middlefaire@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Delacroix <middlefaire@ >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think strawbale is a terrific-looking option, although it's
                  > > not "easy" to produce. You have to have full framing of one
                  > > sort or another, plus a concrete beam surrounding the walls
                  > > where the strawbales will be stacked. The bales have to be
                  > > wheat straw, not hay. Then you have to lime putty or stucco
                  > > in the bale walls and seal them against the weather. In my
                  > > opinion, Texas is not the sort of climate that needs or lends
                  > > itself to strawbale and other natural building techniques-- I think
                  > > they are best built in a cold, dry climate.
                  > >
                  > > Essentially the same visual effect with less work, IMHO, could
                  > > be had with an extra-thick stucco wall that's double-sided
                  > > around an airspace.
                  > >
                  > > But strawbale buildings do look great. :)
                  > >
                  > > -paul
                  > >
                  > > Sandie bbw <thepurplegypsy@ > wrote:
                  > > Nancy I never heard of this kind of building but it
                  > sounds really
                  > > interesting. I'm going to search for more info. Thanks. :)
                  > >
                  > > Sandie
                  > >
                  > > --- In middlefaire@ yahoogroups. com, " Nancy " <solacel@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is anyone in Middlefaire doing a straw-bale building? They can
                  be
                  > done
                  > > > economically and with the right cross-bracing, etc., are
                  > completely
                  > > period
                  > > > in appearance. I'm too far away to take part (phooey), but
                  would
                  > love
                  > > > know if anyone is planning one of these, and to follow their
                  > process
                  > > as it
                  > > > takes place.
                  > > >

                  > > > Namaste,