Book suggestions needed

  • poseystar
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
      I am going to be booktalking at the local middle schools where I
      don't know the kids. What are your surefire, no-fail, ever-popular
      titles for booktalking in grade 5? grade 6? grade 7? grade 8? I already have some ideas from
      our Core Collection list, but I'm curious to hear from teachers and librarians what books are
      winners for each grade in your schools.

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Sonja Cole
      Bookwink.com, video booktalks for kids
      sonja@...
      http://www.bookwink.com
    • Brenda Kahn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
         Fifth grade favorites at my school:
        Mick Hart was Here by Barbara Park
        Blister by Susan Shreve
        Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanan and Swear to Howdy but warn them that the book goes from being pretty funny to very sad. Fifth graders seem to love these sad books.
        Almost anything by Dan Gutman, especially his baseball card books and The Homework Machine
        Travel Team by Mike Lupica
        The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
        Flip and Wizards of the Game by David Lubar
        Never Mind by Avi and Rachel Cohn
        Babymouse books by Jennifer and Matt Holm
        Bone books by Jeff Smith

        Sixth grade:
        Rachel Cohn's The Steps and Two Steps Forward
        Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer
        Shug by Jenny Han
        Penny from Heaven by Jennifer Holm
        The Clique series by Lisi Harrison
        Everlost and Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman

        Seventh & Eighth
        Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins
        Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
        Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
        Twilight and its sequel by Stephenie Meyer
        Lush by Natasha Friend
        Alex Rider Adventures by Anthony Horowitz
        Red Rider's Hood by Neal Shusterman
        The Lightning Thief and Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

        Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card has been circulating a lot lately

        Brenda Kahn

        poseystar <poseystar@...> wrote:
        I am going to be booktalking at the local middle schools where I
        don't know the kids. What are your surefire, no-fail, ever-popular
        titles for booktalking in grade 5? grade 6? grade 7? grade 8? I already have some ideas from
        our Core Collection list, but I'm curious to hear from teachers and librarians what books are
        winners for each grade in your schools.

        Thanks in advance for your help.

        Sonja Cole
        Bookwink.com, video booktalks for kids
        sonja@bookwink. com
        http://www.bookwink .com

        Brenda Kahn
        Librarian/ Webmaster
        NBCT Candidate
        Haworth Public School
        Haworth, NJ

        Be a PS3 game guru.

      • Little Willow
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2007
          Hey Sonja!

          Best wishes with your booktalk. Let me know how it
          goes! :)

          Depending on the story and the writer, I'll sometimes
          read the beginning paragraphs of the book to draw kids
          in.

          I love talking about fantasy, sci-fi and
          action-adventure books with elementary and middle
          school students. I describe the magical worlds and get
          them listening.

          If I have 6th graders, I also talk about making the
          transition to middle school, feeling "stuck" between
          elementary school and high school, growing up but not
          being a grown up, not being a kid but not quite a
          teenager.

          Here we go!

          The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (my favorite
          classic fantasy)
          OutCast quartet by Christopher Golden and Thomas E.
          Sniegoski starting with The Un-Magician (about a
          12-year-old boy who is the only person in his world
          who cannot do magic; absolutely amazing series which I
          recommend these to ANY and ALL hardcore fantasy fans,
          even adults)
          The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane, starting with
          So You Want to Be a Wizard (Great example of "Read the
          first few pages out loud")
          Percy Jackson and the Olympians sequence by Rick
          Riordan (first book: The Lightning Thief; second book:
          The Sea of Monsters; third book coming out in 2007)
          Prowlers by Christopher Golden (quartet - warning:
          this horror quartet has violence, some language, but
          totally worth it for the amazing action sequences and
          descriptions, good guys vs. bad guys, shapeshifters,
          great leading teenaged male character)
          Margaret Peterson Haddix, including Among the Hidden
          (the first in the Shadow Children series), Just Ella,
          and Turnabout
          Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson (hilarious,
          tongue-in-cheek, along the lines of a B-movie/cult
          film with satires of Nancy Drew-type mysteries thrown
          in)
          The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (can't go wrong with
          this one, plus teachers love that it is a Newbery
          winner!)
          Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (another Newbery)
          Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (another Newbery)
          (You can add Stargirl too if you'd like)
          The Alice McKinley series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor,
          starting with The Agony of Alice (give this to every
          girl who likes Judy Blume books)
          Shug by Jenny Han
          Sixth Grade Secrets by Louis Sachar
          Zibby Payne and the Wonderful, Terrible Tomboy
          Experiment by Alison Bell
          (Shug, Secrets, and Zibby are all fantastic books
          about making the transition from elementary school to
          middle school)
          The Girls by Amy Goldman Koss (the dissolution of a
          clique - writtten from 5 different viewpoints)
          Matthew Martin books by Paula Danziger (first book:
          Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes)

          Feel free to check my entire Middle School Must-Haves
          booklist:

          http://slayground.livejournal.com/73379.html

          ----

          Another great tool for booktalking: If Then! If you
          like THIS book, then you'll like THIS book. For
          reluctant readers or those who are simply not
          forthcoming about their bookish ways, I'll refer to
          films and hobbies instead: If you play this sport,
          then you'll love books by this author. If you watch
          this show or dig that movie, then you'll love this
          book. :)

          Here are some examples:

          If you like The Clique, then try The Girls by Amy
          Goldman Koss.

          If you like Eragon, then try The NeverEnding Story by
          Michael Ende.

          If you like Inkheart, then try Poison by Chris
          Wooding.

          If you like Hatchet, then try Call of the Wild by Jack
          London.

          If you like The Bartimaeus Trilogy, then try His Dark
          Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

          If you like Al Capone Does My Shirts, then try Tru
          Confessions by Janet Tashjian.

          If you like The Gospel According to Larry, then try
          Nothing But the Truth by Avi.

          If you watch Life with Derek, then read Who Put That
          Hair in My Toothbrush? by Jerry Spinelli.

          If you watch Phil of the Future, then read I Was a
          Teenage Popsicle by Bev Katz Rosenbaum.

          If Then For Middle School Booklist is posted here:
          http://slayground.livejournal.com/156542.html

          I have If Then lists for elementary school and high
          school too. Let me know if you want those titles or
          direct links. You can find them at Bildungsroman.

          ---

          If you need any more information on these titles or if
          you would like additional recommendations, please
          don't hesitate to ask!

          Little Willow
          Bookseller

          http://www.slayground.net/bildungsroman/
          http://www.slayground.net/yourgirl/
          http://slayground.livejournal.com/
          http://www.rocktherock.com/
          http://www.slayground.net/
        • LARRY RETZACK
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
            --- poseystar <poseystar@...> wrote:
            what books are
            > winners for each grade in your schools.

            I'm currently @ a high school, but for your school, my
            recommendation would be anything by Gary Paulson. His
            books are terrific. He's such a common guy but a
            total wordsmith with exciting premises. Hatchet, etc.
            are super books that most kids can identify with.
            I've read somewhere he has another new one out
            recently that is maybe his best yet. Good luck

            Larry "Library" Retzack,
            BA, MM, MA, Ph.D. candidate,
            Librarian-Media Teacher,
            Colton (CA) High School,