Re: [middle_school_lit] Wikipedia lessons

  • Connie Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28 8:45 PM
      Hello,
      The school library folks in California just had some conversation recently about Wikipedia on their listserv - so this is a hot topic all over! One thing that I've started teaching is that old journalism adage: "Trust, then verify". Jimmy Wales, in a discussion on NPR radio agreed that it would always be a good idea to check any facts you get from Wikipedia. So my suggestion to classroom teachers I work with is to allow Wikipedia entries, but to require a second back-up citation to that. Wikipedia entries are so pervasive on the 'net that one really can't avoid them, so learning how to identify where a website comes from becomes an important student researcher task.

      When classes come into the library to complete research tasks, I always have a little discussion on Wikipedia along with the discussion on how to determine if a website is authoritative. The irony of "the good thing about the web is that anyone can set up a website, the bad thing about the web is that anyone can set up a website' is not lost on the kids. The good thing about Wikipedia is that it is getting better, and is actually best at some things, but we all have to be careful about where we get our information - and to check, check, check other places.

      IMHO
      Connie Williams

      On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Elizabeth Lockwood wrote:

      The Technology Director at my school is working on an article about how schools teach students about Wikipedia and positive and negative experiences they have had using it.  If you have ever developed a lesson about Wikipedia, or if you just have an opinion, could you let me know?

      Thanks so much!

      Elizabeth Lockwood

      Alexandria Country Day School

      Alexandria, VA