Re: what are you reading?

  • BudNotBuddy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 26, 2012
      I am gearing up for Kathleen Horning's six-week ALSC-sponsored online class about the Sibert Medal (that begins next week) and so am busily making trips to the library and borrowing medal winners and honor books that I've never before gotten to.  I read the most amazing medal-winner overnight:: SECRETS OF A CIVIL WAR SUBMARINE: SOLVING THE MYSTERIES OF THE H L. HUNLEY by Sally M. Walker.  It's an amazing stew of history, mystery, and science.  Stellar research, writing, and photography.  Good enough that I am buying a copy for myself to own.
    • kittscher
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 14, 2012
        Hi there! I'm a new member to the group, and am so happy to have stumbled across this listserv. YA really dominates the online discussion, so I'm thrilled to have a place that focuses on titles good for middle school-aged kids:-) I'm a former 7th grade English teacher who now works with all ages of students as a tutor. I also write middle grade.

        I just finished Lauren Oliver's LEISL & PO. I typically am not a fan of middle grade fantasy, but I adored this book. It's tender and beautifully written yet -- despite a storyline that's hard to summarize -- still manages to be a page-turner; a couple of my students recommended it to me. I hadn't been interested initially, so I was especially surprised by how much I like it. Full disclosure: I share an editor with Lauren, but I promise I'm not out shilling:-)

        Now I'm diving into Y.S. Lee's THE AGENCY: THE TRAITOR IN THE TUNNEL, which I'm really enjoying. I loved A SPY IN THE HOUSE. I'm generally an easy mark for any mysteries, but hers are especially well-crafted.

        As far as other 2012 favorites go, I loved THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN as well. Glad to see it represented here. It's been great for my students who are more reluctant readers, especially.

        - Kristen
        ========================
        Kristen Kittscher
        kittscher@...
        THE WIG IN THE WINDOW (Harper Children's, 2013)
        http://kristenkittscher.com/

        --- In middle_school_lit@yahoogroups.com, BudNotBuddy@... wrote:

        > What are you reading right now? Do you have some favorites for 2012?
        >
        > For me?
        >
        > THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN continues to be at the top of my fiction list, but
        > SAME SUN HERE is another near the top of a dozen great middle school reads
        > I've enjoyed already this year.
        >
        > "The town buzzed with excitement, and smelled to high heaven, thanks to
        > all that oil. 'The whole place,' a visitor said, 'smelled like a corps of
        > soldiers when they have diarrhea.'"
        > --BLACK GOLD by Albert Marrin
        >
        > Informational books? Two Civil Rights-related -- TO THE MOUNTAINTOP and
        > WE'VE GOT A JOB -- along with BLACK GOLD are three you need to read.
        >
        > Richie Partington, MLIS
        > Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
        > BudNotBuddy@...
        > http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php_
        > (http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/people/faculty/partingtonr/partingtonr.php)

      • Laura Lynn Walsh
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 14, 2012

          --- In middle_school_lit@yahoogroups.com, BudNotBuddy@... wrote:

          > What are you reading right now? Do you have some favorites for 2012?

          I just finished Jordan Sonnenblick's Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip.

          My full review of the book is here: http://lauralynnwalshbooks.blogspot.com/,
          but, in short, I really enjoyed it.  The main character is a freshman in high
          school, but I think it would appeal to middle school kids.

          I am now read SPUD - Learning to Fly.  I enjoy books that feature life at
          school as a major theme.  This one is about a boarding school in South
          Africa.

          Laura Walsh

        • Spielman, Kathy
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 14, 2012
            RE: [middle_school_lit] what are you reading?

            I loved Curveball. My students love it, too. Great book!!

            Kathy Spielman
            Middle School Library Media Technician
            Yorba Linda Middle School
            4777 Casa Loma Ave.