Best Books of 2011

  • lwillow@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2012
      Happy new year, Middle School Lit group!

      Every December, I create a list of the "best books of the year." Here are some of my picks for the middle school/tween set:

      Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu, illustrated by Erin McGuire
      The Summer I Learned to Fly by Dana Reinhardt
      The Secret Journeys of Jack London, Book One: The Wild by Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon, with illustrations by Greg Ruth
      Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book One by Tom Sniegoski, illustrated by Jeff Smith
      Toys Come Home: Being the Early Experiences of an Intelligent Stingray, a Brave Buffalo, and a Brand-New Someone Called Plastic by Emily Jenkins, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinksky
      Clara Lee and the Apple Pie Dream by Jenny Han
      Callie Be Gold by Michele Weber Hurwitz
      The Reinvention of Bessica Lefter by Kristen Tracy

      For the full list with various categories and ages, please visit my blog, Bildungsroman:
      http://slayground.livejournal.com/681940.html

      Have a great day!

      Sincerely,
      Little Willow
    • Marcia Kochel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2012
        Hi,

        I have a middle school book club made up of mostly 5th and 6th
        graders. They have very diverse reading interests and it's sometimes
        hard to get them to read the same book and have a discussion. They are
        for the most part excellent, avid readers, though. I want to offer
        them an author Skype to go along with their next book and wondering if
        any of you authors on the list would be willing to do a short (20
        minute) Skype either for free or for a nominal charge if we choose to
        read your book. I have a good amount of boys and lots of fantasy fans
        in the group. We are looking for a fiction title. The Skype call would
        need to be on a Monday afternoon between 3 and 4 p.m. eastern time.

        Thank you to anyone who might consider doing this--it would be a great
        treat for my kids.

        Sincerely,
        Marcia Kochel
        The Galloway School
        Atlanta
      • Kate Messner
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2012
          Hi, Marcia! I maintain a list of authors who do free 20-minute Skype chats
          with classes & book clubs that have read one of their books. You can find
          it here:

          http://www.katemessner.com/authors-who-skype-with-classes-book-clubs-for-free/

          ...and take a look to see if any of the books seem like a good fit for
          your group. Then to set up a Skype chat, just email the author from his or
          her website to make arrangements. Hope this helps!

          All best,

          ~Kate

          --
          http://www.katemessner.com

          Watch for Kate's new & upcoming books:

          SUGAR AND ICE (Walker/Bloomsbury 2010)
          MARTY MCGUIRE, a new chapter book series with Scholastic (May '11)
          REAL REVISION: AUTHORS' STRATEGIES TO SHARE WITH STUDENT WRITERS
          (Stenhouse-May '11)
          SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY (Chronicle-June '11)
          OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle- Fall '11)
          EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury - Spring '12)
        • Sarah Darer Littman
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2012
            I'm on that list and was going to offer until I saw lots of boys and into fantasy. My middle grade is more girl and realistic oriented : )
            But definitely look at the list because I am sure you'll find someone. It's a fantastic resource Kate's put together.

            Sarah Darer Littman

[...]

          • Jody
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 29, 2012
              Hi Marcia,

              I just realized I'm not on Kate's list (will get that changed once she finishes her TED talk ... so exciting for her!), but I have Skyped with a number of book clubs in that age group.

              Jody

              Jody Feldman
              The Seventh Level (HarperCollins/Greenwillow, 2010)
              ***Missouri Writers Guild 2011 Show Me Best Book Award***
              The Gollywhopper Games (HarperCollins/Greenwillow, 2008)
              ***2011 Grand Canyon Readers Award, 2011 Georgia Children's Book Award***
              www.jodyfeldman.com
              www.gollywhoppergames.com