Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan

  • Geri D
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010

      Just had to take a moment to comment on the latest book I have finished - Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan (2009).  Fantastic book.  A hard read in that it touches on a very sensitive time in our country's history.  It is touching, sad, cathartic, redeeming, and hopeful!  Many emotions came to the surface during the reading.  It certainly took me back to that day.   My brother worked in the World Trade Center, but he wasn't there that day.  Of course, we didn't know that right away.   I grew up in New York (Queens), moved away many moons ago to New Mexico, then to California which is where I was in 2001.  September 11th was a tough day for me.  I can't imagine how intense it must have been in New York that day. To tell the story via three teenagers really increased the intensity and impact.  When you read this book, be sure to read it cover to cover, including verso, dedications, and Author's note to absorb the whole message.  This was definitely a work of the heart!  Well done, David Levithan!!!!!  It certainly is a book I will not forget!!!  And I will promote it in our library!!

      Side note, reminded me of the Wall That Heals, the movable Vietnam War Memorial.  We had that in Roswell, NM last year.  And, for all the sadness it generated, it definitely was healing.

      Geri Dosalua, Youth Services Librarian

      Artesia Public Library, Artesia, NM 88210

      redpaloma02@...

    • Ginny White
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
        Thanks, Geri, for the great review.  You convinced me to get this book and read it!

        Ginny White
        Fernandina Beach, FL

[...]

        redpaloma02@ yahoo.com

        Virginia G. White