Ellen Hopkins' books -- Crank, etc

  • Denise Byers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      I would like to know how many middle school libraries that are represented through these two listservs have Ellen Hopkins' books (Crank, etc) in their collection? In my middle school, I have 7th and 8th grade only -- no 6th graders. I've been getting tons of requests from my 8th graders for these books. I am seriously thinking of ordering them. I know that the scenarious presented in these books are what my students are faced with - whether parents want to admit it or not. I would like to be armed with the knowledge of how many other middle school/jr high campuses have these books. I've checked SLJ, Booklist, VOYA, etc and all say 8th grade and up or something along those guidelines. If you don't want to email me on list, off list is fine but please let me know.

      Thanks in advance for taking the time to let me know,

      Denise

      Denise Byers
      Librarian
      R. C. Loflin Middle School
      Joshua, TX 76058
    • Kate Messner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        Re: [middle_school_lit] Ellen Hopkins' books -- Crank, etc Hi, Denise~  My middle school in Northern NY has all of Ellen Hopkins’ books, and we serve grades 6-8.  Our younger kids generally don’t ask for them, and in the rare cases they do, our librarians will ask for a note from home saying it’s okay with parents. We also do a lot of parent education in terms of discussing the wide variety of books in our library and what to do if a student brings home a book that a parent doesn’t think is the best choice for that child right now (answer: send it back to school, and we’ll recommend something else.)

        Good luck with your decision~

        ~Kate Messner

        ?
        Thanks in advance for taking the time to let me know,
        ?
        Denise
        ?
        Denise Byers
        Librarian
        R. C. Loflin Middle School
        Joshua, TX 76058

      • Friday, Kendra
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010

          I have the Ellen Hopkins books, as so many girls requested them.  I am in a 7-9 school. They are labeled PG-13.

          I use PG-13 stickers from Demco.  I explain to kids that PG-13 books may have content that some would find inappropriate. Seventh graders were very astute and got letters from their parents giving them permission  to check out the PG- 13s.

          Using the stickers has saved a lot of headaches.  I also have the Christian fiction marked, so that those so inclined can avoid any PG-13 items.

          I don’t know who recommended The Book Whisperer.  Thanks!  It was an eye opener!

          Kendra Friday

          Librarian

          Redmond Junior High

          Redmond, WA  98052