Re: Anyone want to weigh in?

  • david_lubar
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
      Initials don't work for me. Every time I've tried writing as D. R. Lubar, people misunderstand and ask me for prescriptions or medical advice.

      David Lubar

      --- In middle_school_lit@yahoogroups.com, lwillow@... wrote:

      > I need quotes for my next GuysLitWire piece, and I'd love contributions from you fine folks!
      >
      > How do you feel about literary initials? Does the author's gender matter to you?
      > http://slayground.livejournal.com/532476.html
      > WEIGH IN! :)
      >
      > Gracias ~
      > LW

    • Laurel Snyder
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
        I thought about initials.  But it had nothing to do with gender.  I've just written a lot of racy things online, and was scared parents would be like, "Laurel Snyder, who uses the eff bomb? Filthy girl!  Get that book out of my house, NOW!"

        --
        xoLaurel

        http://laurelsnyder.com
      • ljscheer
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
          I didn't want to use initials. I wrote most of my books
          under my full name. But then I sold REGENERATION,
          a teen cloning series, to Berkley paperbacks and they
          insisted I drop my feminine sounding first two names for
          initials L.J. I had no choice so those books came out
          under initials. Once they went out of print, I returned
          to my full name.

          Linda Joy Singleton (who prefers a name to an acronym)

          Linda Joy Singleton www.LindaJoySingleton.com
          http://www.myspace.com/lindajoysingleton
          Ghosts Whisper to Psychic Sabine in
          THE SEER series (Flux)
          DEAD GIRL #1. DEAD GIRL WALKING (Flux/) YALSA Popular Paperback
          "This page-turner has wit, love, courage, adventure and remarkable insight." School Library Journal
          DEAD GIRL #2. DEAD GIRL DANCING
          DEAD GIRL #3. DEAD GIRL IN LOVE (Just Out!!)
          THE SEER #6 coming 2010
          Follow me : www.twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

        • ljscheer
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
            PS --

            Never once did a fan letter come to Mr. L.J. Singleton.
            Readers didn't care whether I was male or female.
            And I had quite a lot of boys reading my REGENERATION
            series.

            LJS

            Linda Joy Singleton www.LindaJoySingleton.com
            http://www.myspace.com/lindajoysingleton
            Ghosts Whisper to Psychic Sabine in
            THE SEER series (Flux)
            DEAD GIRL #1. DEAD GIRL WALKING (Flux/) YALSA Popular Paperback
            "This page-turner has wit, love, courage, adventure and remarkable insight." School Library Journal
            DEAD GIRL #2. DEAD GIRL DANCING
            DEAD GIRL #3. DEAD GIRL IN LOVE (Just Out!!)
            THE SEER #6 coming 2010
            Follow me : www.twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

          • Spielman, Kathy
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
              Boys at my middle school couldn't care less if the author is male or female. They don't care if the book is about girls or boys. They care that they are engaged while reading the story. I have worked so hard to discredit the notion that a book is a girl book or a boy book. A good book is a good book.

              Kathy Spielman
              Library Media Technician
              Yorba Linda Middle School
              4777 Casa Loma Ave.
              Yorba Linda, CA 92886

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009

                In this day and age when names themselves are harder to identify as “male” or “female”, I find that students don’t care or even notice that much about the author’s gender.  Many do care, however, about the gender of the main characters.

                Susie

                Creston Middle School

              • alixwrites@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2009
                  I think a good reason to use initials is if the author has an unattractive or inappropriate first name (maybe something that makes him/her sound older), and there's no suitable nickname.  The reason I decided to use Alex rather than Alexandra was because I didn't feel my flowery first name was appropriate to the grittiness of my books.  Alexandra Flinn sounds like a romance writer, like Rosamunde Pilcher.  Had I been writing fantasy back then, I might have stuck with Alexandra.

                  As far as whether teens care about the gender of the author, I've noticed that the teen-selected IRA Young Adults Choices list usually has slightly more female-authored books, probably similar to the percentage of male vs. female-authored books published (since I think women are somewhat more likely to want to become children's writers, judging by the attendance at SCBWI conferences).  Here's the current list.   http://www.reading.org/Libraries/Choices/YAC_Bookmark_2009.sflb.ashx  The ambiguously-named authors are equally divided between mail and female -- G. Neri and J.A. Henderson are men; A.M. Jenkins and myself are women.

                  So that would seem to imply that, when presented with a similar "marketing pitch" for all the books, teens don't care, since I think the conventional wisdom is that boys will be turned off by a female author, rather than the other way around.

                  Best,
                  Alexandra Flinn
                  www.alexflinn.com

                  A Kiss in Time (HarperCollins, 2009)
                  "Flinn builds a credible romance around two vastly different (and highly entertaining) characters, injects a little magic and chivalry into the modern world, and lightly explores concepts of love and fate—all on the road to a satisfying 'happily ever after.'" --Horn Book
                • lwillow@pacbell.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2009
                    Thanks to everyone who contributed! I added your comments to the piece:

                    Little Willow

                  • Gail Giles
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2009
                      Ummm, I write in the male voice frequently and no one has ever taken me to task.  But I have been adressed as Mr. Gail Giles, even thought the blurb at the back says that I have a husband and child.  I think the name Gail neuters me or something.

                      Gail