Re: [middle_school_lit] Re: My anti-NCLB op-ed

  • LARRY RETZACK
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2008
      --- Barbara Strack <momstrack@...> wrote:

      > When I wrote
      > my congressman in support of this, the reply was
      > that
      > he couldn't support an unfunded mandate. So what
      > was
      > NCLB?

      Barb,

      I'd like to read your op-ed piece, but you're
      question is dead on target. NCLB is perhaps the
      greatest piece of unfunded mandate ripoff in the
      history of the Republic. It's nothing but a thinly
      veiled effort to privatize education much like some
      states have privatized prisons. Based on increased
      research, I'm afraid that privatized ed's not going to
      work any better than private prisons. In fact, if one
      goes a bit below the surface, privatized prisons and
      privatized schools aren't all that much different.

      The Interlochen (MI) Arts Academy where I worked in
      my first fulltime school job after college was a
      private school that I loved. The pay was peanuts but
      if I hadn't gotten a notice for a pre-induction
      physical exam, I probably would never have left there.
      But the IAA is nothing like the institutions that
      have privatized under the aegis of NCLB. I'd rather
      work in the sewer again than just about any of the
      NCLB privatized schools. Good luck.

      Larry "Library" Retzack,
      BA, MM, MA, ABD,
      Teacher-Librarian,