Free Summer Tuesday Family Programs at Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde

  • Laurie Wolfrum
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9 8:45 PM
      Passing on a link another homeschooler sent out (thanks Kim!) about free family programs at Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde, ME.
      They'll be on Tuesday evenings.  The night beach walk looks especially great!
      Laurie

      http://herringgut.org/summerprogramsdetail.html?id=2
    • bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10 7:42 AM
        I know this has nothing to do with this but usually when I post no one answers. So here is my problem...If I haven't kept track of anything the entire year, will they make me send her back to school??? Or can I write something up explaining everything she has learned in one letter. Maine only needs to be shown that progress has been made.
        thanks
        Bekah

        --- In midcoasthomeschoolers@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Wolfrum <alohabun@...> wrote:

        > Passing on a link another homeschooler sent out (thanks Kim!) about free family programs at Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde, ME.
        > They'll be on Tuesday evenings.  The night beach walk looks especially great!
        > Laurie
        > http://herringgut.org/summerprogramsdetail.html?id=2

      • Bun
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11 1:48 PM
          Yes, you can share your year in a letter to document your child's year.

          More info:
          Often people don't realize how much they DO remember about what their kids have done over the past year. What an evaluator does is go over things your child has done with you, listen, guide, offer ideas and encouragement and information. It is a positive exchange! Usually, once I get talking with people, they end up saying, "Wow, I didn't realize how much we did do over the year...it was more than I thought." And then they keep remembering even more things as we talk.

          If it would make you feel at ease, maybe take out a sheet of paper and start jotting down a word or title or sentence that will help you remember some of the things you have done. Keep it in a handy place so it is easily accessible and then you can add to it until you do an evaluation. Keep it simple...even a word that helps you remember a special outing, a title of a favorite book, a sentence describing something they learned, the name of a program they attended. I keep a file (right now, a big bag) of favorite drawings and notes the kids made and sometimes I photograph something they baked, wrote, drew or made. The things I keep are special to me or them (and it is easy to keep a photo to document some of the things we did) and we all like going through each person's old papers to see what they wrote or drew long ago. I even have a bag for myself and my husband of things the kids gave me that I want to keep.

          Do whatever you feel most comfortable doing and remember that you know your child best and how they learn best (from all the time spent with them living and being with them and seeing the learning take place) and what he/she has done, where they are at and what they are interested in.

          It is up to you if and how you want to share any memorabilia to document your year or if you prefer to talk about it or describe it in a letter or via a blog or email. Hope that helps. Please feel free to call me anytime if you want to talk. Laurie 236-4275