Re: [midatlanticretro] OT Humor

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 53 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi Mike:

      In a certain sense, that method of troubleshooting does optimize the
      time it takes to get the unit functional. By "walling-off" half the
      possible defective units by replacing them with good modules, you can
      quickly determine where the fault lies. Of course, as you way, you
      have to have at least 50% spare modules of the total that are known to
      be good. And by replacing half of all the modules, you have a 50-50
      chance of getting
      the system back up on the first swap.

      If the system is still bad after that swap, then the same procedure
      will work by swapping out half again of the remaining un-swapped
      modules, etc.
      It would mean a maximum of 4 swaps to find and replace the bad
      module. And since it was a SAGE system, involving national defense,
      you'd want to get it back up ASAP. That's the point, of course.

      73 de Ray

      Message 53 of 53 , Oct 12, 2008
        This is the dumbest argument EVER.

        Fairline: Herb takes history seriously. That's good. It doesn't mean the man lacks a funny bone.

        Herb: Not everyone takes history quite AS seriously as you or I. That's good, too.